Labs in Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerdgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

What do you do in labs in pharmacy schoool? Is it like undergraduate again with those carcinogenic chemicals in organic lab? Is it fun?:eek:

Thanks for sharing!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

What do you do in labs in pharmacy schoool? Is it like undergraduate again with those carcinogenic chemicals in organic lab? Is it fun?:eek:

Thanks for sharing!

This would be better posted in the pharmacy section of the forum where the real Pharmacy students hang out. We're still all wanna-bes.

I know there are compounding/dispensing labs where you learn how to prepare drugs and do the labels, etc. Somehow I doubt there are many organic chem type labs in pharmacy school. It doesn't seem directly relevant to pharmacy. Maybe someone will move this to the other forum so actual pharmacy students can weigh in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

Thanks for sharing!

There's not much in the way of labs at USC. We have a compounding lab where we make APAP suppositories, some troches, capsules, and creams.
We also have our immunization lab where we poke people with saline syringes. That's really about it. Now you can work as a lab assistant, but that's not part of the schooling, that would be on your own time for pay. You can also take a lab based elective 3rd year, and that would be like your orgo lab, though carcinogens would be up to the prof in charge of the lab.

It depends on what classes are in the curriculum.
We had labs in Biochemistry and Pathogenic Microbiology and they were basically just like undergrad.

Our Pharmaceutical Care Lab is fun. My college has a 'Concept Pharmacy' where it has various aspects of the pharmacy. We practice filling scripts, calling doctors about errors, counseling, nonsterile compounding (creams, ointments, lotions, solutions, etc.), sterile compounding (IV meds, including the proper garb and sterilization of the hoods/materials), using telepharmacy equipment, plus we'll do immunizations, blood pressure readings, and more next year.

It seems like a lot at first, but our professors do a good job at explaining everything and being there if we have questions. The only thing that's nerve-wracking is being watched/graded on the various aspects.

We did a lot of Southern/Western blotting, ELISA, HPLC, protein analysis, titrations, compounding of suppositories, capsules, creams, ointments, taking new prescriptions over the phone, dispensing, counseling, etc. Most of the chem majors enjoyed the labs but I hated most of them. It was so discouraging to spend like 20 hours on a 25 page lab report only to have the TA tear you apart and give you a C. Good riddance :laugh: