Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Labs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bubbajones, Apr 23, 2004.

1. bubbajones

bubbajones BIG TEX
    7+ Year Member

If you make an "F" in lab and retake it and make a "C" will that look really bad? I do well in the lectures but my labs are killing me.

2. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Did this happen in only one class, and how many credits was the lab portion of this class worth? If it is an isolated incident contradictory to the rest of your transcript, you'll be fine. However, you should have a stock explaination on hand for your interviewers at the med school b/c they'll likely ask you about it. Above all else-Don't let the F ruin your life or take away your motivation for other courses. You still have a good shot, and it's good that you retook the class. Just be careful not to make a habit out of it. I can sympathize w/ you to some extent because I always spend 2 or 3 times amount as much energy on my chem labs as I do on the lecture material even though they are worth less credit. Just keep your head up about it--very few applicants are perfect. Good Luck.

3. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unfortunetly getting an F in any class is really bad. Of course taking it over and doing better is what you need to do. What is it about the labs that is giving you trouble? I do believe that the grades get averaged together by AMCAS.

4. WiltdaStilt

WiltdaStilt Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pull out of the class and get a W for withdrawal if you have to but don't risk F or even C in my opinion. Your sport is probably going to be a plenty good enough excuse for someone reviewing your record up against someone who isn't as involved in extracurriculars. If you accept the F they will average the two grades together when reviewing an AMCAS application. Schools don't like to pull down their average acceptance stats and may have cutoffs for more than initial cursory review of your application.

5. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Exactly what I was going to say. Take the "W" if you can.

6. Sweet Tea

Sweet Tea Girl Next Door
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Have you already retaken the class? If you're failing the class now, withdraw and take the W if possible. Retake the class at another time when athletics won't interfere with your academics. You do not want a C as a retake grade.