lacunar cells/hodgkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakstat33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are lacunar cells pathopneumonic for the nodular sclerosis type of hodgkins, or can they be seen in the other forms?

Members don't see this ad.

Lacunar cells are Reed sternberg cell variants, and therefore pathomneumonic for the nodular sclerosis version of HD when present.

Originally posted by Kalel
Lacunar cells are Reed sternberg cell variants, and therefore pathomneumonic for the nodular sclerosis version of HD when present.

...that's what I thought. so we should see lacunar cells more often in females than males, but a WebPath ? has it the other way... in another mistake (same section, hemepath 2nd set of questions) they say that you don't see translocations in Hodgkins, but according to Robbins balanced translocations are present in 30% of cases (pg 664, 6th Ed)... I have been doing WebPath ?'s all semester and these are the first mistakes my untrained eye has picked up on-- which probably means there are others that I missed; has anybody else noticed mistakes in the WebPath answer explanations?

Originally posted by jakstat33
pathopneumonic

the word is pathognomonic. i cringe every time i hear "pathonew-monic" or "did you come up with any new-monics yet?"

pnemonics and pathognomonic. my biggest pet peeves in the world. sorry, carry on...i got nothing about lacunar cells.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Schedule_II
"pnemonic"?

Check your dictionary, Webster.

It's "mnemonic."

I've seen the term "mnemonic" butchered various ways. Most involve adding "pn" instead of "mn" (pnemonic) or eu" instead of just "e" (mneumonic). Sometimes you get a double combo with both errors resulting in "pneumonic."