Ladies: Skirtsuit or Pantsuit for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saimabean5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told for med school interviews that one must wear a skirtsuit. However, I don't like to wear skirts and was wondering what you all were wearing?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking skirt. I found a very helpful thread and brought it up to date last week. It's somewhere around...

I have a very similar problem. I would wear a pantsuit for an interview...in fact I will be for a preprofessional committee interview. Not only am I not into showing my legs, I'm also 7 months pregnant.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
fyi - there have been many other threads about this. it doesn't seem to matter too much, i'm going with skirtsuit

I am not a fan of showing off my legs. How about LONG skirt suits?? Perhaps with a small slit?

i think pant suits are fine (and much more practical in the winter), although i'll personally be wearing a skirt suit since it's the only suit i own :)

Go with whatever accentuates your looks better. Your goal is to look as professional as possible. If you think you look horrible in a skirt, then trust your instincts. Personally, I will go w/ a skirtsuit because I think pantsuits make me look shorter than I already am. :p

I wore a skirt suit even though I wished I wore a pant suit (I couldn't find a decent one in time)....I hated having to show off my skinny legs...........

I'm wearing a pantsuit.

Not only is it a pantsuit. It's a GREEN pantsuit.

But it's what I look the best in, and it makes me feel like a million bucks, so I don't care how much of a rebel it makes me! :laugh:

thanks for your opinions, :) , I've decided w/ a pantsuit ;) my sister claims that wearing a skirt will make me appear more "professional" but I highly doubt adcoms worry too much about whether you wear a skirt or not. :rolleyes:

cmon, it really doesn't matter :) I've been to three interviews so far and all us ladies were either in pantsuits or skirtsuits and all looked professional. I wore a pantsuit for comfort reasons. Walking around in a skirt for 6 hours straight is not my idea of a good time.

IMPORTANT: make sure your SHOES are comfy! After my first interview day, i literally had to put 5 band-aids on each foot....

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I am not a fan of showing off my legs. How about LONG skirt suits?? Perhaps with a small slit?

Yeah, I'd like the same thing, but it's really hard to find any.

if any of you guys see a LONG skirt suit (perhaps with a slit) let me know!!! Also let's start posting where we can find good deals on suits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loehman's has good suits - you sort of have to dig for them though. I still haven't decided about pants vs. skirt - I have a khaki colored pants suit which may be too trendy for some conservative interviewers. i guess it will have to do if i can't find anything cheap and better.

Nordstrom Rack is where I always go for anything dealing w/ clothes or shoes. They have an AMAZING selection of both. Do you guys know where they have nice, but reasonably priced, portfolio or suitcase-type things to have that nice professional look for carrying paperwork around?

i'm wearing a skirt suit, chiefly because i look ridiculous in pantsuits. something just doesn't jive with my frame, i don't know how to describe it. i got a black ann taylor suit with a skirt about 2" below the knee and a three-button jacket...excellent price!

i'm wearing a pant suit (also ann taylor-- LOVE IT!!). i'm not really tall (5'7"), but my legs are long compared to my torso, and skirt suits always end up being a couple of inches shorter than what they should be...:rolleyes: so the nice long pant suit is better for me. plus, pants are more comfortable, i feel better in them, and they're better for cold weather.

my mom is a business exec and wears suits all the time (unfortunately, she's 5 inches taller than i am so i couldn't just borrow a suit). i have big plans to raid her (extensive) closet for shells that go with whatever school i'm interviewing at... sky blue for UNC, gold for wake forest, purple for ECU... :laugh:

now i just need to get shoes...blech. i hate pumps, but i think they'll look the best with my suit.

Hi!

When I interviewed a couple years ago, I was surprised to find that I was the only woman who wore a skirt suit. Everyone else basically wore pants suits. I think I look better in a skirt suit, but they all looked great!

So, the bottom line is: wear what you think you'll look good in. Then you'll feel good!

:)

Last year when I interviewed, it was a fair mix of skirts and pants. It doesn't really matter which you wear as long as you look professional (and are comfortable :) )

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
have big plans to raid her (extensive) closet for shells that go with whatever school i'm interviewing at... sky blue for UNC, gold for wake forest, purple for ECU... :laugh:

now i just need to get shoes...blech. i hate pumps, but i think they'll look the best with my suit.

That's a great idea!:laugh:

ok, i've gotten mine narrowed down to a skirt suit that i love and is fairly conservative (grey, but a cool shirt under)... i have some great dress mary-janes w/thick heels; they're trendy, though. anyone going trendy on the shoes? i dread wearing pumps. the trendy shoes even look great w/the suit, in my opinion. just wondering if anyone else is going shoe-trendy.

Is anyone planning on bringing two pairs of shoes? e.g. professional-looking pumps for the interview and then comfortable shoes for the tours? or is that even practical with the logistics of carrying them around, etc? i have great looking black pumps that really hurt after awhile ...

girls, if you have nice legs, definitely go with a skirt!

pantsuits are kinda manwo.

so...i went to franklin mills today (to those not from the philly area-- huge outlet mall) and got a suit from ann taylor. $57!!!! down from an original $240. anyway... i LOVE the suit except for the fact that i got the skirt a size smaller than i really wear. it's a little tight in the waist, but no one can tell that (i tried it on with a few possible shirts i would wear and even without the jacket it looks fine)....it's fine everywhere else, but the problem is that it's just 2 inches shorter than i would like. it comes to mid knee instead of below the knee. i hate the idea of giving up such a great deal (the skirt was $15)...and the only one of that skirt in my size that i could find is at an actual ann taylor store and the skirt will cost me $60 on clearance and with a coupon. the other thing is that i'm only 5'1", so it's not like i'm flashing a ton of skin here...

what do you guys think? should i get the bigger size (and more expensive) skirt *just* for the extra 2 inches of fabric?

anyway, enough obsessing for now... can you imagine what's gonna happen when i go shopping for shoes??? ;)

if you have nice legs, you should be glad that God ordained you to buy a skirt that's 2 in less.

Originally posted by chopsuey
so...i went to franklin mills today (to those not from the philly area-- huge outlet mall) and got a suit from ann taylor. $57!!!! down from an original $240.

:eek: That's great!!

i've heard from many people that pantsuits are still considered unprofessional (except on the west coast where people tned to me more liberal)...which i think is completely sexist.

anyway, i'm on a tight budget as many of you know, maybe i'll have the same luck as an earlier poster at ann taylor.

i'm wondering whether anyone found a suit with a long skirt? (this is the kind i want to wear, if not a pantsuit?)

ok, so no one was more surprised at the price of the suit i got than me....but does anyone have anything to say about the length of the suit????

my mom thinks it's a little too short, but everyone else has said that i would look reaaaallllly short in anything longer.

Ok, it's official...I've gotten a charcoal grey pantsuit from Express..They didn't have any skirt suits :( But I'm happy with it.

ok, so no one was more surprised at the price of the suit i got than me....but does anyone have anything to say about the length of the suit????

my suit hits mid-knee when standing, and thus about 1-2'' above the knee when sitting. i think it's fine. but that's just my 2-cents worth, and it's what i'll be wearing. :) i have short legs (i'm ALL torso) and i'm rather short (~5'4") and any skirt longer than this (pantsuits as well) make me look stubby. can't have stubby, y'all. :D

can't have stubby, y'all.

:laugh: great, i'm sticking with the suit~ bought a $10 shell from benetton to go with it...now i just need the shoes and some stockings (black????).

btw, in either the neiman marcus outlet or the nordstroms outlet at franklin mills, i saw a nice suit with a long skirt...if any of you are from philly, you might want to drive over and check it out. sorry, but i don't know the price or anything, but i thought of you guys who were asking about them.

Originally posted by chopsuey

:laugh: great, i'm sticking with the suit~ bought a $10 shell from benetton to go with it...now i just need the shoes and some stockings (black????).

btw, in either the neiman marcus outlet or the nordstroms outlet at franklin mills, i saw a nice suit with a long skirt...if any of you are from philly, you might want to drive over and check it out. sorry, but i don't know the price or anything, but i thought of you guys who were asking about them.

Thanks a lot for thinking of us! Well, I found a long skirt black suit from Nordstroms, but it's very lightweight. I'm worried about cold weather :( .

Ok, I was never really good at this fashion stuff, so help me out here? If u're short (like me :D ) , what's better: long skirt or pantsuit? And with a long skirt, must u wear stockings (I hate them)?

it's not thin, is it (the skirt, I mean)? if it is, remember to wear a slip!

is there a slit in the skirt? if there is, also watch that the slip isn't too long...
also, you don't have to wear tights if you don't want to, especially if there isn't a slit...but realize that it will make you warmer! trouser socks are a decent idea to, if you just want to look like you're not bare-legged when you sit down.....as long as there isn't a slit to show where the socks end!!!

ok, that's all of the advice for now! glad you found the suit you wanted...

oooh...on a side note, this girl yesterday had the coolest hair thing...it looked like a short slap bracelt, but it was made of gold wire mesh inside of plastic-y something and it goes around your ponytail. it's decorative, but doesn't have any annoying elastic on it (you put it over the ponytail you've secured with an elastic).... if anyone sees one of those, let me know! i fell in love with it...i even went up to her to ask her where she got it from, but she didn't know :(.

thanks!