Lag/Application Year - Work or School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
exactly a year from now, i'll be completely finished with my sciences classes and would be taking the MCATs.. which means, from summer 2006 to summer 2007, i would just be applying/interviewing (hopefully)..

what should i do that year? i'm a non-trad app and assuming i get at least B's in the rest of my post bacc classes, i would have at least a 3.5 science gpa and 3.0 overall..

should i:
a) take more upper level classes above the core sciences classes i took as postbaccs-- yet taking a risk on ruining my high science gpa (because my undergrad gpa wasnt great and it took me this long to bring it up over a 3.0)
OR
b) work at a hospital fulltime, as well as volunteer, getting quality experience and not risking a drop in gpa.. BUT not accomplishing more than my core sciences

do schools look to see if u've finished anything more than the basic sciences, even if your core science gpa is pretty high and ur mcat is decent? if not, i kinda want to work and give my brain a break.

Members don't see this ad.

I say take the year off and work if that is what you want to do. I am almost finished with my work year (thank goodness) but wouldn't trade it for the world. I realize how much I dislike the idea of being stuck in this job for the rest of my life and how much I enjoy the simple process of learning. As long as you have a solid application and no holes you are tyring to make up for--I wouldn't worry about staying in classes.

I don't know about the "looking to see if you have finished more than the core sciences" because my degree was in a science field. I would say that getting a GOOD (not decent) MCAT is key in showing that you can handle the science stuff though...and goes a long way to make up for a bad undergrad GPA.

My interviewers have seemed to enjoy the fact that I am utilizing my degree in Bio/Chem to mix drinks at a bar (while shadowing 10hrs/week at a local hospital to keep my eyes on my future goal).

Im in the same boat for this year. My advice also is to do what you want, provided you have enough clinical experience, and do what you want. Consider some research (this is what Ill prob. be doing) Maybe this will give you something extra to talk about at your interviews... did I say do what you want? Anyways, best of luck.

I recommend a job that is fairly low-stress and fun to do. You'll have more than enough stress from the application process ;).