Lame or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have these two post-secondary experiences that I'm not sure if I should include or not...

1) I was "co-author" of a display presented at the Virtual Reality Meets Medicine conference in California... I actually didn't even attend the conference. Basically, I did a little study while working for this Medical Imaging company and my boss sent in the results to the conference and the conference selected it to be a display... just a display... no speaking presentation.
Personally, I don't get the real point of the conference... I mean... virtual reality and medicine... I'm not sure wehere that is going... but apparently the conference has been around for like 10 years...

2) I got this little "grant" from Dartmouth-Hitchcock... while I as there doing research for the medical school. I don't remember much at all about this grant except that my boss asked me to apply for it and I did... and I got it. It wasn't more than $1000 I'm sure. One thing I'm concerned about is that it's called "Helen's Fund" which coincidentaly is the same name as a rather big-deal grant given out in the South... if they didn't read the notes, they'd think for sure I was lying (I'm from Ohio).

I know these things are kinda interesting... but I don't want medical schools to think I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel... or that I'm trumping up these little things. I mean getting a grant sounds like something big... until you realize the context under which I got it, from who, and how much it was for. And the Virtual reality conference... I'm afraid their going to be like "computer nerd!"

So what do you think? Which should I include, if either?

Members don't see this ad.

i'd put 'em both in as honors/awards or whatever similar categories amcas has now. if you say it was the dartmouth-hitchcock helen's fund there shouldn't be any confusion. good luck!

Definitely not lame - I'd find a way to include them somewhere. Contrary to popular opinion, you don't need to colonize a village in Zimbabwe to get into medical school. Those are good experiences/awards and should be on your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
They sound perfectly reasonable to list. You should be a little more proud of your accomplishments. They sound good.

The "colonizing-a-village" post was humorous, and made its point effectively.

My opinion is that the grant sounds more interesting than the display. Both could be separate entries, however I would personally choose to write about the grant and not include the diplay.

Thanks everyone... I'm just going to include both... what the hell, right? I was encouraged to add the display thing after seeing that on the AMCAS application "presentation/poster" is actually listed as a specific type of post-secondary experience... in that little drop down box... you know what one I mean?