Lancaster General

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsp

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what it's like @ Lancaster General in Lancaster PA? Ie done away rotations there, etc. It is unopposed. Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I am no longer doing FP as my career, but up until a few months ago I was set on this specialty (until I realized I have no interest in treating children) but I did do a lot of looking into the field. I am from right around Lancaster county and I did a few shadowing experiences there (no actual rotation though) and I must say it is an impressive residency. Some reasons why:
1. Only residents in the hospital
2. A major hospital in the state serving one of PA largest counties (if like me you do not count Philly and Pittsburgh as parts of PA - they are islands onto themselves)
3. Beautiful hospital, many of the newest technologies, great support staff
4. Dedicated hospital strictly for OB (LGH Women and Babies) so you will get great OB experience
5. Teaching staff is excellent, this is one of the Oldest FP residencies in the country (something like 27 years, so basically since FP became a specialty).

Honestly it is the premier (no arguments, QED, end of statement) FP residency programs in PA and probably in the Northeast. And it is in a cheap area, that is visually pleasing and not too far from Philly, Baltimore, and NYC since for most people the thought of living in Rural PA makes you want to kill yourself.

So that is my limited opinion, take it with a grain of salt since I am not doing FP anymore, but it was where I wanted to end up when I was going into FP.

dsp said:
Does anyone know what it's like @ Lancaster General in Lancaster PA? Ie done away rotations there, etc. It is unopposed. Thx
I agree with above poster and would have gone there except for family considerations. it is one of if not the best fp programs and is more oriented toward the true mission of fp in every way. one caveat-former PD was considered one of the fathers of FP as a field but recently retired-may want to sniff around about how people like the new guy who has been there for 2-3 years now....it is def. worth an "interview elective" no matter where you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
With regard to the new PD...he's been really great for the program -- well published, a great role model and team builder and he has really built the program up to include new research faculty. He's also successfully improved the curriculum and, along with the assistant-PD, has improved the peds experience for the program.

I've rotated now twice in the LGH FH dept. and I would agree that this a really great program --
1. Well-rounded (many deliveries, peds is busy, IM is busy w/ a wide variety, FM service is VERY busy, and outpatient is excellent).
2. Great residents (attracts good candidates, at the end of the first year, all are very proficient and have an impressive body of clinical experience).
3. Unopposed in the best sense of the word (FM residents are well-respected by staff and attgs, the most well respected of any programs in IM, OB/GYN, etc that I've seen as a student) AND academic (two hrs a day of PRACTICAL lecture/case review plus attg rounds that are teaching-heavy. Teaching from IM is excellent, compares to academic IM programs, teaching in outpatient is preceptoring and effective).
4. BUSY (in a good way: Q4 for 9 months of 1st year, 5 or so of those months are intense, the others are maybe not as intense call night wise. The FCM faculty and residents account for about 160,000 patient encounters/year and its gotten even busier now that the other hospital in Lancaster has shut its doors to medicaid) but 2nd and 3rd year are much better (Q8-10 for a few months). I'm convinced that the reason this program is so successful is that there is a huge volume first year (with time for teaching and learning about patients) that creates a foundation to build on for two whole years. This is in contrast to IM programs that are spread evenly for three years -- there you'd get good by the end of three years but with little opportunity for polish and refinement.
5. OB: Many deliveries, C/S assist possible, a good mix of low risk and high risk deliveries. Prenatal care is also busy. GYN training is good for outpatient. Certainly enough opportunity to "specialize" during residency in Women's Health or perinatal issues.
6. Medical student teaching is abundant and 2nd years are expected to run services/call and teach 1st years.
7. Faculty are excellent, always focused on teaching the residents.

In all, the program has been churning out family docs for years and the hospital is pretty much build around the philosophy of FM. LGH is a very good hospital -- top 50 in five or six specialties in US News (for what that's worth) and its growing.

I could comment further, but I have to stop. I would highly recommend checking the program out for an interview.

did anyone get a holiday greeting card from the lancaster General health after their family medicine residency interview?
please reply asap.