1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

LAP TOPS AND MED SCHOOL

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by roger2004, Mar 30, 2000.

1. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Is is necessary to have a lap top computer right away? What are your experiences with using one in the first year? I got through college using our computer lab just about all the time. It wasn't always convenient, but I managed. Any special requirements on the specs of the laptop if you think that it matters much? (there goes my budget) Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ADRIANSHOE

ADRIANSHOE Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I dont feel the laptop is that essential for the first year or two...where i do find it very helpful has been on elective rotations where you go from town to town and its much easier to carry around than your desktop...

There are people that actually bring them to class...often you can see them playing solitaire or working on their chess prowess...so in that regard its maybe a good a way as any to pass the time in a classroom setting

4. EZEK

EZEK Member
    10+ Year Member

Roger,
    If you're going to PCOM, you don't need a laptop. The computer lab at the school is quite good.

5. amyb

amyb SDN Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Roger,

If you want to spend your money on something, get a palm pilot that you will use later on, there is no need for a lap top at PCOM.

amy

6. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks to John, EZEK and Amy for your replies.
    Yes, short of avoiding carrying around a desktop for rotations or otherwise, (not very prudent!!), are you suggesting that a laptop is not essential for the first year or two, OR THAT A DESKTOP IS NOT NEEDED EITHER? Is it practical to rely on the computer lab? I hope they're open 24 hours!!! My desktop is fast becoming a "collectible" so it looks like I'm going to have to purchase something. Did you happen to see the Dell they're advertising for $899 for the works? And they have a laptop for $1499 (only 32meg ram, however) which is much cheaper than they used to be. Any further comments? Thanks all.

------------------

rog

[This message has been edited by roger2004 (edited 04-03-2000).]

7. Pretty much everyone has a desktop these days. So far as a laptop, I doubt that one is really necessary in med school. Nice to have (esp. 3rd and 4th years) - or at a school that is wired like KCOM.

I assume that one of their main uses is to d/l lecture notes (if that is available) - I nearly always use the labs for this because of the T3 speed, rather than my desktop or laptop. A laptop would probably be good for interactive CD roms (gross, histo, etc.) and practice tests if these are available, but I am certain many students do the same with textbooks alone.

I rarely see med students in the computer lab at school. Mostly dental students use the slides and images on the 'puters. A firend of mine who is a first year doesn't even really know how to work his email!

I don't plan on lugging my laptop around at PCOM. Don't think it would fit in w/everything else

[This message has been edited by RAM#48 (edited 04-03-2000).]

8. roger2004

roger2004 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Ram#48
    Thanks for your comments. I hadn't considered the question of SPEED of d/l's for lecture notes or whatever! You make a really good point. You don't see many med students in the computer lab? I guess it's not as much of an issuse as I thought it would be. I am somewhat surprised, (and relieved) by that information.

------------------

rog

9. Robert

Robert Member
    10+ Year Member

At NYCOM they "require" us to have either a computer or laptop in order to view powerpoint presentations and CD-ROMs (commercial and school-made). But in reality most of the students here use the computer lab to view or print out the powerpoints. I know most schools try and integrate computers into the classroom but I don't think you want to lug in and have it potentially stolen!

10. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Lap tops may not be required but at KCOM we do have some test that are open book and that includes open Lap Top. We are doing this right now as first year students and will have for 2 more quarters after this one. It is faster to search a computer file full of class notes than it is to look for it in a text book. For that reason I would want a laptop.

If you are a good typist a lap top is also good for taking notes in a class or review session where the instructor doesn't give good note packs if they give you one at all.

Carrie

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

11. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At KCOM, laptops are not required...but I tell you, I can describe how much easier life is with my laptop!! Unless you will go hungry or without shelter, you would be miles ahead to ensure you have some sort of computer. And, if I had to chose between a laptop or desktop...do the laptop. You can keep your old desktop monitor, mouse and keyboard; buy a docking station & have the best of both worlds!

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!