Laptop for DS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firik

Connection is the Key!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not strong on computers, which is why I need some thoughts on my top pick (ThinkPad X1 Extreme). I will be using for dental school 24/7 so I am willing to invest for the best laptop! All the details about the laptop is attached in the picture. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• laptop.png
    laptop.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 99
might want to spring for the 1080p version since it'll consume less power than the 4k ones, giving you a longer battery life for studying in school. saw online someone said the 4k has like 6 hrs battery life whilethe 1080 can get around 10-11hrs.
32 gb ram is a bit overkill, but if you have the money why not? Get the 16 gb ram unless you think you'll use it for other things like video production. thinkpads are built like tanks, so good choice :p

Reactions: 1 users
The last time this thread popped up most people decided you couldn't go wrong with a MacBook or Microsoft surface. I think it'll come down to preference over anything else tho.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The last time this thread popped up most people decided you couldn't go wrong with a MacBook or Microsoft surface. I think it'll come down to preference over anything else tho.

I was looking at the Microsoft surface book 2 which is very pricey and also from the consumer report I learned 25% had issues after two years. I am not used to mac system, but admit it's more reliable; however, if an issue arises it's pricier to fix.

I was looking at the Microsoft surface book 2 which is very pricey and also from the consumer report I learned 25% had issues after two years. I am not used to mac system, but admit it's more reliable; however, if an issue arises it's pricier to fix.

Is the surface book more than the mac? I always just assume Apple products are the most expensive.
Honestly when it comes to reliability I feel that Windows and iOS aren't to far apart and I use both reguraly.

Is the surface book more than the mac? I always just assume Apple products are the most expensive.
Honestly when it comes to reliability I feel that Windows and iOS aren't to far apart and I use both reguraly.

surface book 2 cost $3300 after tax for 15.6'/16Gb ram/ 1T ssd/i7-8th generation
I was talking about reliability between the brands.

surface book 2 cost $3300 after tax for 15.6'/16Gb ram/ 1T ssd/i7-8th generation
I was talking about reliability between the brands.

You definitely don't need 16gb of ram or a 1tb ssd for dental school.
I'm actually thinking about getting the surface pro 6. It's a 2 in 1 and is around $800 and has pretty great reliability from what I've read.

You definitely don't need 16gb of ram or a 1tb ssd for dental school.
I'm actually thinking about getting the surface pro 6. It's a 2 in 1 and is around $800 and has pretty great reliability from what I've read.

After some search, I learned all the MacBooks since 2016 are a lot more overprices with low specs and poor design! So, it's better to buy Macbook 2015. As you know in three years there were so many improvements in other companies. I am convinced that Apple will go down once again; just like when they "fired" Steve Jobs and production went down.

Is there any other laptops that you know of that is people favorite?

Last edited:
After some search, I learned all the MacBooks since 2016 are a lot more overprices with low specs and poor design! So, it's better to buy Macbook 2015. As you know in three years there were so many improvements in other companies. I am convinced that Apple will go down once again; just like when they "fired" Steve Jobs and production went down.

Is there any other laptops that you know of that is people favorite?

2 in 1s are also very popular from what I've heard. (Ipads, surface pros etc.) From the dental students I've talked to you mostly just use your laptop to view slides I'm pretty sure any laptop can handle powerpoint.

Reactions: 1 user