PiecesOfFlair

15 pieces of goodness
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Hello, everyone. I'm a complete computer tard and am still using my 1998, 333 Mhz, 4 GB dinosaur Packard Bell. It's so old that I don't think Packard Bell even sells computers anymore. I need to buy a laptop when I start pharmacy school this fall but I don't know which brands are reliable. My sister has had a bad experience with Compaq so that's out. I need suggestions.

Here are the minimum required specifications:
  • Processor: 700 MHz Intel Pentium III or equivalent
    Recommended=1400 MHz Mobile Pentium IV or Higher
  • Display: 15" LCD
    Rec= 15" LCD Capable of 1024x768 or higher
  • Video: 8MB RAM
    Rec=16MB RAM or higher
  • System Memory: 256 MB RAM
    Rec=512 MB RAM or Higher
  • Floppy Drive: 1.44 MB, 3.5" Internal or External
  • Hard Drive: 20 GB
    Rec=40 GB
  • Removable Media: CD-ROM
    Rec=CD-RW/DVD Combo
  • Operating System: Windows 2000 or XP
  • Software: Microsoft Word & Powerpoint, Outlook Express, IE 6.0, Antivirus (Updatable), Windows Media Player 7.1 or higher
    Rec=Microsoft Office 2002/03 (Word, Powerpoint, and Outlook), IE 6.0, Norton Antivirus Full Version, Windows Media Player 8x or Higher
  • Ethernet Card: 10/100, Internal or PCMCIA, with network cable
  • Modem (Analogue): 56K, Internal or PCMCIA

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles because I won't be gaming, downloading videos or anything like that. I'd like to spend less than a thousand dollars if that's possible. Please help!

heldicus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
The Nati
Visit site
Status
It's probably not possible to stay under $1k for a new notebook. I have an HP zt3000 (probably not being sold anymore...and I don't like their newer models), and I'm very happy with it. IBM, Toshiba, and Dell are also reliable. I would recommend something thin and light.

M

mynameistino

PiecesOfFlair said:
Hello, everyone. I'm a complete computer tard and am still using my 1998, 333 Mhz, 4 GB dinosaur Packard Bell. It's so old that I don't think Packard Bell even sells computers anymore. I need to buy a laptop when I start pharmacy school this fall but I don't know which brands are reliable. My sister has had a bad experience with Compaq so that's out. I need suggestions.

Rec=16MB RAM or higher
    Rec=512 MB RAM or Higher
    Rec=40 GB
    Rec=CD-RW/DVD Combo
  • Software: Microsoft Word & Powerpoint, Outlook Express, IE 6.0, Antivirus (Updatable), Windows Media Player 7.1 or higher
    Rec=Microsoft Office 2002/03 (Word, Powerpoint, and Outlook), IE 6.0, Norton Antivirus Full Version, Windows Media Player 8x or Higher

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles because I won't be gaming, downloading videos or anything like that. I'd like to spend less than a thousand dollars if that's possible. Please help!
Hello,
It really depends on what kind of laptop you want to get that will fit your need in pharmacy school. Thin and light?(portable), business? Home use? I am starting my sophomore year in college and i will be moving down to california for school and so the kind of laptop that i am looking for will be the thin and really light laptops. I like it because its very small and light that makes it easy for me to carry around whereever I want to go. Stick it in your backpack, carry it with one hand, etc. These kind of laptops meets the minimun requirement that you stated uptop except the screen is a bit smaller. If i were you i would go to www.cnet.com and check out there laptops because they show you videos on the laptop you choose. Also, check out the dell latitude and/or HP laptops. Hope this helps

bulldog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
this is a decent computer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6979193&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01174&id=1099387489920

though i've probably seen it for around $700 during sales.

u could easily get one of dell's d6000 laptops (i think that's the name) for sub-$1000.

if u're getting a laptop, use a platinum visa card (i think amazon.com is platinum visa)--it'll double ur warranty to 2 years if u send them ur receipt.

don't go for the latest/greatest laptop. get something cheap. i know too many people who spend like $2k on a laptop and barely bring it outside their homes for fear of losing it, or don't know how to set up the wireless internet, etc. it's kinda like u've just started driving and u get a gas-sucking porsche--but just travel the local streets and not the highways.

i have a 15" dell inspiron 1100, 384mb ram, 24x cdrw/dvd, 2.2 ghz celeron, etc. bought a cheap $10 wireless card after rebate, and upgraded the ram from 256 to 384. Total price? about $725.

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
Is there something you specifically have to use Windows for? If not, give some thought to the Apple iBooks. Apple has a 12" iBook for $999 and a 15" iBook for $1299. With the education discount both should be around that price range.

Other than not having Windows (an advantage in my book), those meet or exceed all of your requirements. Oh, and they don't come with pointless antivirus software. :)

If it must be Windows, I can't think of any notebooks that I would buy other than IBM Thinkpads. No other Windows notebooks have the level of build quality that the Thinkpads do (except maybe the old Panasonic toughbooks, but I think those are a good bit more expensive).

OP
PiecesOfFlair

PiecesOfFlair

15 pieces of goodness
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
Status
Thank you so much, everybody. If I'm going to get a new computer, I'm thinking of just replacing my ancient desktop with it. Wait...can you hook up a printer to a laptop? My old Lexmark ran out of ink months ago but I didn't want to spend $35 on an ink cartridge when new printers are less than $100. But I digress.

I've been hearing good things about IBM. I was thinking about the Apples too, then I saw the small print that said, "Apple Computer Macintosh systems are not supported by university IT Staff." I wonder if that means I can get one but if something goes wrong, the techs will just point and laugh and say "tough." Or, maybe it means I can't buy one at all because it won't be compatible with the software the school will be using. I guess I should ask somebody about that.

I'll have to bring it to class often. I'm not sure what we'll be doing with them, but I saw pictures online where every student has their laptop open during lecture. Or maybe they were just bored and decided to play online party poker.

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
I can't even imagine how many more lectures I would have attended if iBooks with Airport had been popular then. I'd have an ad hoc network started, and everybody would be iChatting to each other during the lecture. As it is, lectures were so dull I usually skipped them.

Yes, you can connect notebooks to printers.

Probably safer to wait until you start school, so you can find out exactly what your needs will be.

mdblue

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
PiecesOfFlair said:

Rec=16MB RAM or higher
    Rec=512 MB RAM or Higher
    Rec=40 GB
    Rec=CD-RW/DVD Combo

Get a toshiba satellite..some models sell less than $800-900 if you buy it from a reseller like CC/BB. :)

bulldog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
Sessamoid said:
I can't even imagine how many more lectures I would have attended if iBooks with Airport had been popular then. I'd have an ad hoc network started, and everybody would be iChatting to each other during the lecture. As it is, lectures were so dull I usually skipped them.

Yes, you can connect notebooks to printers.

Probably safer to wait until you start school, so you can find out exactly what your needs will be.
most of the newer laptops DON'T support parrallel printer cables, which is what the OP probab has. best bet would be to throw away ur old printer and just get a new one. if u really want to use the old printer, then u can get a usb to parralel adptor $40 cc/bb/staples/etc or around $15 on ebay.

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
bulldog said:
most of the newer laptops DON'T support parrallel printer cables, which is what the OP probab has. best bet would be to throw away ur old printer and just get a new one. if u really want to use the old printer, then u can get a usb to parralel adptor $40 cc/bb/staples/etc or around $15 on ebay.
Good point. Ran into the same problem with my little shuttle box, which also no longer comes with parallel ports. Obviously, the Macs in the house also don't have parallel printer ports. Printers are practically free nowadays anyway, so no big deal.

Uegis

1 Down 3 To Go
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are some good deals going on at Dell right now, 500 bucks off 1399 purchase of a notebook. You can pick up a pretty high-end notebook for 900 + tax. Applies for Inspiron 9300, 8600, 700m, 600m, 6000, 1150, and 1000. Free shipping. Great deal. I personally got the slick 700m. For most uses, I think at least 512MB RAM is necessary (XP itself recommends 512MB to run). Expires 3/22/05. Hurry up!

Use these codes at checkout. Remember, do not look at the already sale price but instead the undiscounted price to reach those totals.
$500 off $1399: W$N7BQKNQBFM42
$600 off $1699: G$MLVKQCS67L24
$750 off $1999: 1JNJXG38DV2J0S