Laptop or Desktop Comp for MSW Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ck41885

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on moving across the country to work on pursuing my MSW, so I will be leaving my old computer behind. I have a lot of friends who have told me that a laptop is crucial for grad school, albeit they are in different fields of study.

I would imagine that a laptop would be useful for working in the library, but feel like I would be spending more doing fieldwork anyways. Therefore I'm not sure the portability of having a laptop is necessarily worth the extra money over a comparable desktop.

If any current/past MSW students have found that a laptop has been integral, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I am weeks from finishing an MSW program, and I have had a laptop for the duration of the program. I've really liked having a laptop for the program, but I also think you could get by without one if you really didn't want to spend the money. I have horrible handwriting, and I really like being able to type my notes (I also type much faster than I write) and the fact that my computer organizes them. It's also nice to have the internet access to look something up in the moment if the professor mentions something like a website or agency name and also to check my email while I'm between classes or in a boring class. We do have a computer lab at my program to do work at school without a laptop, but it tends to be very full and have long lines. I also like the fact that I can do homework and papers anywhere I want, rather being chained to one place to do work.

I do, in summary, really feel like having a laptop has been a huge advantage and help to me, but I have classmates who don't have them seem to do just fine. It all depends on your personal preferences and lifestyle, I think.

Thanks for your advice. I think it might be useful just to get a cheap laptop with some basic capabilities like word processing and internet browsing. I for one hate typing out long papers or reading articles on tiny screens, so i may just get a decent desktop to go along with it. Best of luck to you in these last few weeks of your program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check on www.slickdeals.net for some awesome deals! They have a great HP up there right now for under 900. It isn't one you can easily carry around tho.

www.dell.com/outlet offers refurbished or scratch/dent units for cheap. I've had awesome experiences with their refurb products. Their studio laptops 1440 are perfect for carrying around and weigh only 4lbs.

Thanks for the links, Psycnube. I have been keeping my eyes on dealnews for deals and actually found a nice deal over at Dell Outlet today. However, my indecisiveness got the best of me. Those things sold out like hotcakes.

Thanks for the links, Psycnube. I have been keeping my eyes on dealnews for deals and actually found a nice deal over at Dell Outlet today. However, my indecisiveness got the best of me. Those things sold out like hotcakes.
Hi;
I needed a laptop for reading emails and using word at uni and thought getting a refurbished laptop would be my cheapest option. Finally bought a refurbished laptop from "ElectroComputerWarehouse" and the product id is "dell_d620_laptop". you can also check this one it can help you.

Hi;
I needed a laptop for reading emails and using word at uni and thought getting a refurbished laptop would be my cheapest option. Finally bought a refurbished laptop from "ElectroComputerWarehouse" and the product id is "dell_d620_laptop". you can also check this one it can help you.

I'm sure if the individual comes back to check this thread (over a year later), they'll be appreciative. :p

Hi;

:spam::claps: