Laptop Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worker Bee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior, and I plan to apply next May. My laptop recently crashed and I really need a new one. I know that alot of times schools require you to get a certain laptop. I have also heard of them charging you for one in your fees. A friend of mine also told me that you don't always have to buy a new one. Have you ever heard of this and is it better to wait to buy one so I don't get stuck with two laptops or can I just buy one that would last me through medical school? If so what kind is best?

Members don't see this ad.

This is very tough to answer, as you'd need a crystal ball. Some schools make you buy a tablet PC, some make you buy an exact model through a dealer, and some just give you minimum specs.

If you get any decent PC laptop, you'll have the best chance of not needing to buy one in a couple of years. I guess if you got a tablet, you'd be slightly more covered, but this seems like overkill if you didn't plan on a tablet. However, there's still a good chance you'll be forced to buy one later.

I definitely recommend a tablet pc, even if you want to stick with paper. Get MS office with onenote, and spring for MS outlook. These programs will be very helpful in keeping you organized.

As far as the computer itself, you have a lot of options. Toshiba, lenovo, gateway (new tablet only), and HP are going to be your best bet. The first two will be more expensive, but will be a little better overall. Also, MAKE SURE THE TABLET IS A WACOM ENABLED ACTIVE DIGITIZER (if you get a tablet). Passive digitizers are only partially functional as far as tablet functionality is concerned.

I have been using a tablet for a few years, and won't go back. Check with the schools to which you will apply, and get their computer requirements so you don't get stuck with two.

Good luck!

Fujitsu is another great tablet company. If you want to know more about any tablet pc and what they can do, I recommend going to www.tabletpcreview.com. The forums are friendly there and they even have a dedicated forum for "what computer should I buy?"