Laptop/TabletPC or PDA for students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey just wondering, do podiatry students have PDA or Tablet PCs. I use a convertable Toshiba Laptop -Tablet PC at my university , initially i bought it for the sole purpose of impressing gals in my class as iam the only one who has it. but later i realized how much potential it has. I write all my notes on it. Now i just carry that to my school. no hassle of papers,notebooks,binders,etc . If i have an exam i just print out selected papers. its so versatile. i love it. It costs like $1400-$1600. Since its christmas time and if someone is planning to buy a laptop i would advise you guys to spend some more money and buy this. its a laptop as well as Tablet PC. its so cool. rather than maintaing 3-4 notebooks and again their storage problem. This is so cool. u cud draw diagrams, flowcharts ,etc

And another question to seniors was, do pod students have PDAs,etc. I heard Med students at some schools are having laptop, pda requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

AH yes I believe at DMU we're getting the swivel laptops.
As you said, nothing impresses the ladays like cool gadjets.

vkb, how bout spotting me the cash flow to get one of those tablets?:) So, if I am married, will it impress my wife or does it only impress single women?

Members don't see this ad :)
You better be ready for a hot night if you're gonna show her a swiveller

vkb, how bout spotting me the cash flow to get one of those tablets?:) So, if I am married, will it impress my wife or does it only impress single women?

i was just giving the example to say why did i bought it first. When i bought the tablet, i didnt knew how usefull it was. The more i started using it , the more dependent i got on it. i really like it. i am a very big of fan of modern technology.What ever new computer stuff comes in market i have it in my home. I have the fancy finger print reader without which my computer doesnt opens. its not that helpfull as iam the only one who stays in my home. so there is no one else to access to my computer. but it looks very cool. reminds of tom cruise in Mi3 or James bond movies. he he he.

I agree, technology is awesome. Some other advice; if you are going to get a tablet or any other expensive piece of technology, better do it before pod school, when you won't even have moolah for din din.

I agree, technology is awesome. Some other advice; if you are going to get a tablet or any other expensive piece of technology, better do it before pod school, when you won't even have moolah for din din.

This depends on where you go. I bought a house while in pod school and I still eat din din.

The PDA is nice if you download epocrates or a similar program for looking up drugs.

AH yes I believe at DMU we're getting the swivel laptops.
As you said, nothing impresses the ladays like cool gadjets.

You do get a laptop and a PDA at DMU. You get an update on your PDA in your 3rd year before you leave but no update on the laptop. So you get P.O.ed when you see the 1st years with some awesome technology that you wished you had.

I often carry my table pc (apple 2c) to class with me to impress The Sex Opposite me in class.

Then, when I should be attention paying, I play grammar gremlins until the over is lectured.

so sorry, feelgood. Just joking around, but I guess you took it very seriously. I am in no way worried about having what I need for my wife AND 2 children. Just a joke

so sorry, feelgood. Just joking around, but I guess you took it very seriously. I am in no way worried about having what I need for my wife AND 2 children. Just a joke

Sorry, I did see a :laugh:. I figured you had a legitimate worry that you will not have money. I was poor as heck in undergrad but now I get living allowance. Thanks Uncle Sam.

Sorry, I did see a :laugh:. I figured you had a legitimate worry that you will not have money. I was poor as heck in undergrad but now I get living allowance. Thanks Uncle Sam.

are you a veteran!

I own a Tablet PC, too. I love it. If you aren't handy with gadgets, don't get a Tablet because, for the price, you could get a laptop with much better specs. However, if you like gizmos and the like and are willing to invest a LITTLE time (doesn't take much), Tablets are unbeatable in terms of usefulness. I write directly on my PP presentations for class as though I were writing on paper. I do so armed with numerous pens and highlighters which I can change with the click of a button. Also, when I receive an electronic document to fax back to someone, I usually just sign it on my Tablet and email it right back.

I can do hand-written flashcards on Microsofts Ink Flashcard program (downloadable for free as part of the Experience Pack or Education Pack from Microsoft if you own a Tablet).

They are a lot of fun, but not cheap. I sold my previous laptop and some other stuff so I could afford it... but it was worth it to me.

AZPOD Rocks

I often carry my table pc (apple 2c) to class with me to impress The Sex Opposite me in class.

Then, when I should be attention paying, I play grammar gremlins until the over is lectured.

hahahaha....first time i've ever lol while reading on SDN:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey, thanks for the input. My post did not convey the joke I intended. And I am sure your comments will be very helpful to someone who genuinely IS worried about cash flow. Thanks:)

I use a MacBook in class (Keynote is much nicer than Powerpoint) and I'm getting a Palm LifeDrive for the clinic. If you're just starting school, I'd stick with just a laptop until you get into clinic. A PDA is really pointless unless you really need the pocket sized portability.