Cruzangurl81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey anyone getting a laptop for pharm school....anyone know if there any good deals or where to find them if they are out there, and what to look for a descent laptop.

Gauden44

./.|.\.|./.|.\.|./.|.\.
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Cruzangurl81 said:
Hey anyone getting a laptop for pharm school....anyone know if there any good deals or where to find them if they are out there, and what to look for a descent laptop.
I'm not going to pharmacy school or know of any deals, but I'll give a couple recommendations.

I built or selected features for a Compaq laptop (www.hpshopping.com) online for $1050 and which would have costed a lot more for Dell. In my opinion Dell is overpriced and overrated. Anyway, go with an AMD Turion 64 processor, as they are good quality and provide a lot of room for future software developments that will be coming out. Other than that, I don't know what else to say. I went with a 14.1" screen and I really like it. It's just the perfect size, plus it looks crisper than a 15" screen. Which I guess makes sense since they both have the same resolution but one is packed into a smaller screen (therefore it is more "dense" with pixels).

JMH5145

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I just bought a Dell E1505 during the 10 days of deals on the Dell website. The computer originally sells for 1,400. I added XP Professional and used my EPP discount for being a CVS employee I got it for 750. The thing should fly. Dual Core processor, 100 GB hard drive, 1GB RAM, DVD/CD burner...can't wait to get it!

Phantom_Eclipse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Texas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I bought/built a E1405 from Dell. For the high-end specs my school recommends, I think I got a bargain. Texas A&M HSC had a deal with HP for a tablet PC, which ended up costing $1800. I got mine for just above $1400(including tax).

ADN1226

Class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 21, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For light notebooks and touch screen try fujitsu.com, their notebooks are so small, light, cute, but besides that, works very well. My brother is a software engineerer... knows all about comps and the family will be getting their 3rd notebook from fujitsu. Apples are also light weight.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
Just get something with wifi so you have something to do during class like playing video games over the internet, using AIM, or checking out Facebook. Nobody on Earth actually uses a laptop during class for constructive purposes. Except for that weird chick that sits in the front row who brings up pictures of toxic epidermal necrosis (ewwww.) and looks up answers to questons professor ask to look smart. But she doesn't count, I'm 97% sure she's really a cyborg.

vicky336

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2005
atx
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
i think that the price of computers should be going down in the next month or so. the company that makes the chip for the computers are trying to get more market shares in order to be competitive again and thus lowering the price. the chip is the most expensive part of the computer which is why the entire price of the computer would decrease.

i'm still debating on whether to get another lighter laptop to bring to school or if i should get a pda with wifi and a portable keyboard to make things extra light.

NuclearFission

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Status
vicky336 said:
i think that the price of computers should be going down in the next month or so. the company that makes the chip for the computers are trying to get more market shares in order to be competitive again and thus lowering the price. the chip is the most expensive part of the computer which is why the entire price of the computer would decrease.

i'm still debating on whether to get another lighter laptop to bring to school or if i should get a pda with wifi and a portable keyboard to make things extra light.
Computers are always getting cheaper. But one factor has remained the same in labtops. The smaller the labtop the more expensive it will be even though the power is inferior to larger ones. Basically, if you want a small labtop then don't expect the price to drop anytime soon as opposed to larger labtops.

Fushi.tarazu

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2005
Status
Hi there,

If you are looking for notebook to buy, go to notebookreview.com to do your research. It's a pretty useful site. It has comprehensive review of most - if not all - the laptops on market.

As other have stated, dell is a good choice for the best-bang-for-your-buck laptop. I don't like dell because it has poor construction quality compared to other higher quality laptop, but I guess for $600-800 a laptop, you can't complain much.

To look for laptop deals, there are two site you should check:

slickdeals.net AND
fatwallet forum

Good luck,