laptops for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecrdoubles15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for the people in dental school what kind of laptops do you guys have and what kind of programs do i need on the laptop. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much any laptop works and it needs to have MS Office ... That's pretty much it. Any other programs the school usually gives you

ecrdoubles15 said:
for the people in dental school what kind of laptops do you guys have and what kind of programs do i need on the laptop. thanks.

I know some schools require you to buy the laptop they negotiated with a specific PC vendor.

If it is your choice and money is no object, I always recommend an IBM T42 or T43. If you wanna save big $$$, check out www.slickdeals.net. Every week or so a crazy deal will appear on there for a Dell laptop. I bought a loaded Dell Inspiron 8600 for $800 a few months back.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesnt recommend a computer, but I want to get a new one anywas....

I wanted to ask current dental students how much they actually use a computer, and whether it is more convient just to get a laptop or save money and get a desktop?

get a laptop since it can be used as both a desktop or for portability.

dentist_to_be? said:
My school doesnt recommend a computer, but I want to get a new one anywas....

I wanted to ask current dental students how much they actually use a computer, and whether it is more convient just to get a laptop or save money and get a desktop?

Nova requires that you buy their laptop. It ain't cheap either. I'd definitely go for a laptop. Games and wireless internet sure make the boring lectures go by a lot faster. ;)

I am planning on getting a G5 PowerBook. I hope they are out my the summer!

is there actually any use to a laptop????

i feel that if i were in law school there would be more use as I would be typing alot of paper and reports. but as dental student the only thing i can see that benefits me from a laptop is to use it with a histology cd to look at the slides. and also look at the anatomy cd if they give you one.

not sure that is worth umm 1 grand since computers are still avaliable in the libary all day long.

The one i would recommend the HP tablet PC. It's very small and less than 3 lbs. You can use the pen with it to directly write on lectures or handouts that you download. Granted there isn't a huge use for laptops, but it's whatever is more convenient for you.

rocknightmare said:
i feel that if i were in law school there would be more use as I would be typing alot of paper and reports. but as dental student the only thing i can see that benefits me from a laptop is to use it with a histology cd to look at the slides. and also look at the anatomy cd if they give you one.

not sure that is worth umm 1 grand since computers are still avaliable in the libary all day long.

That's exactly my thought. Why have such a powerful laptop since I won't be type any essays?

are there any assignments or lab reports to type up??

I was thinking of going with a Mac laptop... they last long and its not as susceptible to viruses and things. Plus its cheaper :)

jk5177 said:
That's exactly my thought. Why have such a powerful laptop since I won't be type any essays?

I agree that there isn't much use for a computer while in dental school, but you may be surprised to find out that you will have to write an occasional paper. The people in my class that plopped down a lot of money on their laptops are the computer geeks who are inclined to want the latest, fastest thing on the market. They end up using them during class to play video games or watch movies and in clinic they use them to play music. The rest of us use the school computers to look at our email.

hrm i am a computer geek and nerd.

so i have to get a laptop?!@#$ DAMN IT!

rocknightmare said:
hrm i am a computer geek and nerd.

so i have to get a laptop?!@#$ DAMN IT!

then you definitely should be looking into a laptop with liquid cooling system, temperature censors and clear see-through case with neon lights inside :laugh: