Laptops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdianaax

In memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I want to get a new laptop, but I know that some schools require certain laptops for D-school. For those of you attending schools that require a specific laptop, if you don't want to get that schools specific laptop, do they give you an option of buying an equivalent type of laptop? I mean what if you really do not want that laptop brand and would rather go and get your own with similar specs, do they let you? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UTHSCSA gives a choice between two laptops... a Dell or Apple MacBook... you have to choose one of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you can't get one on your own with comparable specs? No matter what you need to choose from those two? Do you have to get it from the school, or can you get the same one on your own? The reason i'm asking is because you can get the same exact thing from ebay or something for a lot cheaper.

At UTHSCSA, the reason they want to you to purchase through them is that the computer will come preloaded with software (texts, charting programs, etc..) and be configured to their network security and privacy standards. I assume that is why other schools force a choice as well. I hate the fact that I cannot purchase my own. However, now I will have two laptops, one each for my wife and myself.

At UoP everyone gets the same laptop. There is no choice. We also get the same backpack. Luckily, the backpack and laptop are as pimped out as possible. Unluckily, you get to pay for them.

At UoP everyone gets the same laptop. There is no choice. We also get the same backpack. Luckily, the backpack and laptop are as pimped out as possible. Unluckily, you get to pay for them.

What laptop and backpack is it, armorshell?

What laptop and backpack is it, armorshell?

Dell D620 with the 2.0gHz Intel Core Duo, 2gb of ram and running Vista.

The backpack we got is a big Targus 15.4 Pulse. We also got a usb fingerprint ID dongle (For instructors to sign off on clinic work) a bunch of charger accesories (Long, short, extension, car and plane chargers) an extra 6 cell battery and a 128mb thumb drive :)rolleyes:).

diana, hold off on purchasing your laptop until you know where your going to d-school. as you know, some schools require laptops & others do not. the schools that require laptops may just ask that you have any laptop & others may want to purchase a specific model.

there is no use in being impulsive b/c chances are it will cost you big time in the end. just wait until you know where you're going..

jb!:)

Did it cost an arm and a leg???

With all of the software loaded on it (Some interactive dental anatomy software, Office '07, Adobe Photoshop, Digital Imaging software and the clinical management software, which is changing in a year :rolleyes:) and all of the peripherals it ran us $3000.

So in short, yes.

my dell latitude d620 cost me less than $1200 (tax and shipping included) :D

granted i didn't get all the bells & whistles that armor has :rolleyes: (that's why my powerbook is for ;))

jb!:)

Dell D620 with the 2.0gHz Intel Core Duo, 2gb of ram and running Vista.

The backpack we got is a big Targus 15.4 Pulse (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-RG0315C-15-4-Pulse-Backpack/dp/B00009RTOO). We also got a usb fingerprint ID dongle (For instructors to sign off on clinic work) a bunch of charger accesories (Long, short, extension, car and plane chargers) an extra 6 cell battery and a 128mb thumb drive :)rolleyes:).

I wonder if they had a choice to not run vista...it seems like they would wait till the bugs are worked out.