Large animal experience in South Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fmkm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I don't have large animal experience, I am planning on applying this year. If by any chance you know of a place in South Florida, or Florida in general, where I could get some experience please let me know. :)

Deeply appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Miami, Florida and when I tried calling the limited number of large animal/equine vets we had in Dade County, I was told that they couldn't have any volunteers because of insurance issues. My other option was to volunteer at the ASPCA Horse Rescue, but I wanted vet experience because it is weighed heavier when applying. I now go to school at FGCU on the west coast of FL, and have had a little better luck with large animal vets. I was able to shadow an equine vet for awhile. What part of South Florida are you from?

You don't necessarily need large animal vet experience to be accepted. I didn't start volunteering with a large animal vet until during the interview period, so I had no large animal vet experience listed on my VMCAS application. I was accepted to three schools without it. However, I did have 1000s of hours in small animal med, wildlife med, and exotic animal med, and research, so that might have made up for the lack of large animal vet experience.. I know a lot of people who have been accepted without it. While you don't NEED large animal vet experience, you DO need multiple types of vet med experience. They want to see that you have been exposed to multiple types of veterinary medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Coral Spring in Broward County

Well, the reason why I am looking for large animal experience is because it was strongly recommended in my situation... I don't really have diversity in animal experience, maybe exotics is easier to find in South Florida

I went to undergrad at University of Miami so the majority of my vet/animal experiences were in the Miami area. There are some opportunities out in 'horse country' i.e. some riding institutions like Huntinghorn Stables that will take volunteers. Mind you it is not vet experience, but they periodically have a vet who comes in to see the horses and you can state in your application that you witnessed certain procedures during your time volunteering there. There are also opportunities in Homestead, but you have to be willing to make the ride out there.

My strongest equine experience was during one of my spring breaks - I just took a trip for a week and spent time in Ocala, FL. There are horses everywhere, and it can be a relatively cheap trip as certain places who regularly take student volunteers will supply cheap housing. If you really want horse experience and can take the time out, it is worth it.

Honestly the great thing about Miami is that we have access to several species/places that many applicants outside of Florida do not. Try to get experience at Monkey Jungle, Parrot Jungle Island, Miami MetroZoo, Seaquarium, etc. I was asked why I did not have food animal experience during one of my interviews, but I answered honestly saying that there weren't many opportunities for it in Miami but I accumulated experiences in almost every other possible discipline available. I was accepted there.

That being said, I agree with hellokitty89 - Use the diversity available in Miami to your advantage, and don't stress about not having a lot of horse experience. If you can rack up a few hours here and there, great, but there is so much more out there that I feel it is not 100% necessary for a strong application.

Good luck!

Try asking if you can "shadow" instead of volunteer. Unfortunately many places will not allow you to be a "volunteer" due to risk, but "shadowing" is at your own risk and they are often more willing to do that. I know it's just silly language, but that's how insurance companies work :rolleyes:.