Large Animal Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dania2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a sophomore right now, who's a little worried with getting the right amount of experience by the time applying to vet school comes around. Specifically getting large animal experience. I live in the suburbs of New Jersey, right next to Rutgers Cook campus.
I've been searching the web and I've haven't found any opportunities to get large animal experience.
I'm actually not a Rutgers student and I go to a small college whose career center and pre-vet club weren't able to help me find any opportunities. Would anyone in this area know of a large animal vet or farm that would be willing to take someone with no experience? Any Rutger students know if a person that isn't a student would be able to volunteer at the barn on campus?

Members don't see this ad.

@Dania2016 I would just ask the campus barn people :)
I know some people who got LA experience over the summer, doing ride-alongs with LA vets, or working at a horse place (like mucking stalls or whatnot). What about any animal sanctuaries in the area you could volunteer at?

You have transportation?

This is similar what I did to get horse experience:
Horse Jobs & Opportunities in New Jersey! Washington Stables- Horseback Riding. Call:732-727-3838

I live in WA so not the same place but walking around kids on ponies, doing summer camps, easy peasy.

I am a responder for the ASPCA and back in September was involved with a horse case. Kind of hit or miss what kind of animals are going to be involved but it is a pretty cool experience and easy to get involved with them. They pay for your flight/hotel/food to go out for their sheltering operation for a week (5 working days, 2 travel days typically), you would just have to go in the summer or get permission from your teachers to miss class. I've done dogs, horses, and roosters. They still have people down in St. Croix (so I hear), I'd bet there are horses down there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone in this area know of a large animal vet or farm that would be willing to take someone with no experience? Any Rutger students know if a person that isn't a student would be able to volunteer at the barn on campus?

I mean this kindly but...why not call up and ask yourself? Have you googled LA vets in that area (large animal veterinarian City, State, for example) (with the understanding that you'd likely need to drive to meet them)?

Have you checked the NJVMA member listings?

Member Veterinarian Search

Using my state's VMA page was how I was able to find large animal and equine practices to shadow as a pre-vet.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the advice. I really appreciate it