large animal experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarissimo

Reaction score
How many hours of large animal experience did successful applicants have? where did you get in?

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest taking a look at the Successful applicants for various years. This is the C/O 2024. Remember that alot depends on the application as a whole and not one specific area assuming one meets all minimum requirements set by the institution they are applying to.

Reactions: 1 user
It will heavily depend on your application and other stats. I had 90. Another friend of mine had zero. I know a classmate with well over 1000 hours of LA experience. Definently look at successful applicants as the previous person mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not in vet school, but the 4th yr student doing an internship at the clinic I work at had thousands of hours of SA general practice experience and then around 100 of LA experience; however, a vet I know that graduated not too long ago just had small animal experience. It really seems to vary.

I am planning on getting at least 100 hours of LA veterinary experience, but I already have a ton (over 500) or small animal experience as a incoming undergrad freshman. There is only one large animal vet by me, but he was hard to find. I had to ask around a ton, so don’t give up! Another recommendation is contact business-based farms by you and see if you can volunteer there. They always have veterinarians check in periodically especially if they are larger farms, so you can add that to vet experience when the vet is there as well as animal experiences, which is what I am sort of doing in college cause my college has no LA vets by it, just farms.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: 1 users
It will heavily depend on your application and other stats. I had 90. Another friend of mine had zero. I know a classmate with well over 1000 hours of LA experience. Definently look at successful applicants as the previous person mentioned.

I have a ton (over 1000 hours and counting) of small animal experience, a high GPA and good GRE score. I think the only thing lacking in my application right now is the diversity of vet experience. I worked at a private SA practice for 1 year and recently got a job as a veterinary assistant at a VCA office where I work full time. Currently I have 40 hours for large animal experience. I was supposed to have zoo vet experience but that got cancelled due to COVID-19 and the large animal vet I worked with isn’t taking on any volunteers right now because of COVID-19 but I still want to apply this cycle.

Have you looked for a therapeutic riding group in your area? I began volunteering with one a few years ago and it’s been so rewarding! And if they like you they may be able to connect you with the vet they use. That’s what happened to me and I still volunteer but I also lesson at the barn now and have become really good friends with their vet (and she wrote me a killer LOR). Never underestimate the value of networking!!