Large animal/job/etc

Started by bayarea15
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bayarea15

someday super vet
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just looking for some opinions/advice. I've got about 1100 hrs small animal vet exp, 3 hrs zoo animal vet exp, and want to get some large animal/food animal next. I work at a small animal hosp, but am paid min wage, and due to finances and having to move, I am going to need to bring in twice or three times as much income.

The hosp is not keen on promotions, and have a raise freeze for the past 3 years.

Should I go back to my old job, where I was financially better off, and try to keep the vet job for the wkends?

I would love to find a large animal job, but I don't think its even a possibility for me.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile
 
Should I go back to my old job, where I was financially better off, and try to keep the vet job for the wkends?

I would love to find a large animal job, but I don't think its even a possibility for me.

LA vet jobs are hard to come by since many practitioners don't use techs/assistants the same way SA vets do, so you're probably right on that. It's not impossible, but just unlikely.

Take the money. You've got a significant amount of experience now (more than many successful applicants), and you can still accrue a lot of experience on weekends. I'd go for the job that supports you best at this point, especially if it leaves weekends open.

Maybe try volunteering with a LA vet on the weekends instead of just getting SA hours? Some more variety would do you good. 🙂
 
Maybe try volunteering with a LA vet on the weekends instead of just getting SA hours? Some more variety would do you good. 🙂

This might be difficult. Most LA vets (even at bigger clinics) don't have weekend hours (just for emergencies).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This might be difficult. Most LA vets (even at bigger clinics) don't have weekend hours (just for emergencies).

Huh, wasn't my experience in Wisconsin at all. I rode along on Saturdays with multiple clinics. 🙂

ETA: Usually we were booked only for the morning ours, but ended up with "emergency" (off hours) calls all afternoon.
 
I would agree with breenie. I worked a summer at a LA vet M-F and took weekends off to help out at the ranch that was providing my room and board. But the LA vet was actually open M-Sa. I think his Saturdays weren't necessarily as busy as the rest of the week, but he still had the clinic open and most weekends had something scheduled and saw a fair amount of clients. I would go for the higher paying job during the week and find a LA clinic for weekends that'll maybe let you shadow for a while. Depending on how far you have to travel, you might also be able to have them call you when they have a weekend appt or "emergency" come in.
 
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to have to find a la vet. I could change my schedule so that I would be able to go to the la shadowing on a wk day, and do the sa on the wkends.

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile