Large Experience Hours Change (HELP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbitboi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a re-applicant this next cycle. Short story: One of my most meaningful events first time applying was 4,000hr then after I re-calculated and it's actually 1,600.
After I reviewed my last application I accidentally doubled my hours from a most meaningful experience of mine -- at the time I didn't really know how to gauge it and just assumed it was a part-time job. The be transparent, at the time of application last time I was completely unaware and should have doubled checked, and I didn't. I made that mistake and don't want to do it again.
What should I do? I'm gonna switch it to the correct version, but slightly paranoid.

Members don't see this ad.

No use worrying about it now. Ensure you have addressed your deficiencies and have an appropriate school list (ideally with many new but still appropriately matched schools that didn’t see your app the first time).

No use worrying about it now. Ensure you have addressed your deficiencies and have an appropriate school list (ideally with many new but still appropriately matched schools that didn’t see your app the first time).
Sorry, so you suggest to just keep it as is and clarify to schools once they ask?
Mostly would be worried that AMCAS would investigate if I changed it, bc that’s a large difference

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, so you suggest to just keep it as is and clarify to schools once they ask?
Mostly would be worried that AMCAS would investigate if I changed it, bc that’s a large difference
What about one line in your job description-
“ total hours were miscalculated last year and are corrected”
or "work hour total corrected from last year's application"
@Catalystik would this be a solution?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
AMCAS would not investigate. It is up to the individual schools that review your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting, I wonder if that would be appropriate. I have been involved in the alumni side of the association, plus it's been 3 years since I applied the first time! So, I have a long continuity with the organization almost 7 years!

With all due respect, this is a ridiculous idea.

The chance that anyone notices the discrepancy from the past and is confident enough in their recollection of one applicant's listed hours for one activity to make a fuss about it and get OP penalized or reported is functionally 0%.

On the other hand, doing what you suggest guarantees that everyone who reads OP's app at least raises an eyebrow and possibly becomes distrustful of OP's reporting.

OP just amend it to the correct number for this cycle and move on. No cares enough about one specific applicant's listed hours for one specific activity to give a rat's @ss. You're being paranoid.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.