Large/Farm animals vs Marine mammals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittenRescue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was just wondering what would be better and what everyone else had. I have many hours of small animal experience so I am researching either large farm animals or marine mammals to do some volunteer work and get some experience.. which would be more attractive to vet schools on my application?? Also where would I find out about research?
In general between school and work at the animal hospital, I dont even know when I am going to have the time to fit this in. I guess I will figure it out..LOL :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone I was just wondering what would be better and what everyone else had. I have many hours of small animal experience so I am researching either large farm animals or marine mammals to do some volunteer work and get some experience.. which would be more attractive to vet schools on my application?? Also where would I find out about research?
In general between school and work at the animal hospital, I dont even know when I am going to have the time to fit this in. I guess I will figure it out..LOL :bang:

I don't think either is necessarily better than the other, but I was best able/more interested in getting large animal/production animal experience. If you have a strong interest in marine mammal medicine, though, I wouldn't hesitate to take that position if it offered you similar experience as the farm animal position (not just feeding dolphins, for example, although that's pretty cool).

I got my research and lab animal experience through two different positions offered at my university. We have a lot of research here and there are always investigators looking for students to help care for the animals and/or assist with the actual research taking place. If you're at a university, I would poke around and see if there are any studies taking place now. We get all of the notifications through the animal science "student coordinator" or whatever, so if you can find someone similar at your school, its worth contacting them. I would caution you about getting one type of experience while working with lab animals (if you end up actually working with animals through the research position) - double-check with the PI that he or she is okay with you jumping around between facilities. It hasn't been a problem for me yet (I just change shoes/clothes) but I know someone who wasn't able to hold two positions because of this reason.

Good luck!

I agree that one is not better over another. However, I would say that the marine mammal might make your application stand out more. Many people have SA and LA experience, but I doubt there are many that have marine mammal experience. You will learn more in whatever field you have the most interest in, though. So do your research and see which is a better fit for you. Good luck :luck::)

Members don't see this ad :)
What my advisor told me when I was looking into zoo vet experience was that I should get experience with large animal medicine first because its one of the big money industries. I personally would think that marine mammals would be amazing and make you stand out, but I guess they also want to you to be practical and know that your chances of getting a job in that field is very rare. So it's better to show that you enjoy what you'll most likely end up in.

Do which ever you have the best oppurtunity to do now or which ever you will enjoy most. Make sure it will be vet supervised experience. The experience that you are enthusiastic about and learn from will be better fodder for essays and interviews than the one you did because you thought ad coms would think it is 'better.' An important part of developing skills is being able to use them across disciplines; I spend a lot of time working on cows because I want to have good skills in artificial insemination which is a valuable skill in zoo work. I spend a lot of time working on cats because tiny veins, claws, and infectious bites are parts of working with many zoo animals. Try to look at experiences as both helping you explore the possibilities and as providing transferrable skills sets and knowledge that will support you in the field you chose to pursue after vet school. One of the best individuals at handling large animals in our first year was a woman whose BS was in marine mammology because she moved calmly but confidently around the livestock, even though she didn't have experience with them, because it was a skill she learned working with cestaceans.

Thank you all for replying.. I am still trying to figure out my school schedule for fall and work, then I will see what will fit into my schedule.. So stressed..:confused::eek:I feel like I just dont have time for anything. My poor animals never see me. =(
Sometimes I just think - Switch to pharmacy and call it a day!
I love animals and medicine too much though.. :mad:

Do what is most interesting to you, and you are able to do. This about reaching your life dreams and doing what you love. So... do what you love.

I happen to like cows, but that's just me. ;)

As Sunstorm said, you really need to be sure that you are working with a vet to have the greatest impact/experience for yourself and your application. Animal handling in and of itself is helpful and is accounted for on your application, but it doesn't carry the same message or clout as those experiences with a veterinarian. That being said, do what most interests you and think you could talk/write about because you are so interested.