LASIK during Radiology Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natrimestan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will be starting R1 later this year and wanted to get LASIK as soon as businesses get back to normal. My uncorrected vision is pretty awful, and I had planned to go through with LASIK following medical school. It's not a vanity issue at all, but as the glasses have become larger and more cumbersome, I really can't imagine being hindered by them forvever. However, I'm concerned about the risk for corneal ectasia, blurred spots, contrast viewing abnormalities. Has anyone gone through with vision correction in rads residency or afterward or have any thoughts about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friend,

I had the same issue with 3.5 myopia in each eye. Got Lasik pretty more than 10 years now, now vision is perfect 10/10, no more annoying glasses anymore, the only chronic side effect I noticed is my eyes became so sensitive to bright lights specifically the blue light coming out of screens/tablets and I usually significantly dim the light of my phones/tablets to make my eyes comfortable, I use blue light filter apps most of the time, which my family/friends feel it is awkward because they can barely see at the level of brightness I usually use.

I use the eink tablets for reading that have built-in light and I never had a problem with with their lights even if I take the brightness all the way up, so my problem was almost only with LCD monitors.

I Don't know how this problem may affect me as soon as I start my R1 year next month but somenone recommended some fancy eye glasses brands that filter blue light and makes reading more comfortable in dark rooms.

Reactions: 1 users
my eyes became so sensitive to bright lights specifically the blue light coming out of screens/tablets and I usually significantly dim the light of my phones/tablets to make my eyes comfortable, I use blue light filter apps most of the time, which my family/friends feel it is awkward because they can barely see at the level of brightness I usually use.

This is why I wouldn't risk Lasik. Dry eye you can treat with eye drops but glare and light sensitivity? Bright monitors are important to perception, especially radiographs and mammograms.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why I wouldn't risk Lasik. Dry eye you can treat with eye drops but glare and light sensitivity? Bright monitors are important to perception, especially radiographs and mammograms.
Good point, solves that problem for me...

Hello friend,

I had the same issue with 3.5 myopia in each eye. Got Lasik pretty more than 10 years now, now vision is perfect 10/10, no more annoying glasses anymore, the only chronic side effect I noticed is my eyes became so sensitive to bright lights specifically the blue light coming out of screens/tablets and I usually significantly dim the light of my phones/tablets to make my eyes comfortable, I use blue light filter apps most of the time, which my family/friends feel it is awkward because they can barely see at the level of brightness I usually use.

I use the eink tablets for reading that have built-in light and I never had a problem with with their lights even if I take the brightness all the way up, so my problem was almost only with LCD monitors.

I Don't know how this problem may affect me as soon as I start my R1 year next month but somenone recommended some fancy eye glasses brands that filter blue light and makes reading more comfortable in dark rooms.

Contacts seem to be the only solution, if able to bear the cost and tolerability.

Reactions: 1 user
Not to mention the lovely eye surgery scene that has been bored into my brain since seeing this movie :)