Last call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing my last call night of intern year. Holy s*** has it sucked. Most of my fellow interns are saying it hasn't been that bad, etc, etc. I'm gonna come on out of the closet and say, to hell with that, it's sucked. I'm so tired of pages about constipation, diarrhea, low back pain, falls, headaches, "do we really need to culture him?," nurses second guessing my narcotic orders, nurses diagnosing pts with fictional disorders, nurses not getting access by not really trying, pt's who refuse to be stuck when they're acutely ill and hospitalized, pt's (and families) who ask how many times I've done this procedure, pt's wanting to drag that chest tube out with them to smoke. I'll probably be the butt-head consultant next year, but for now, I'm sick of having to play up my pt's to justify the consult, sick of the rude "so what's your question" when I'm one sentence into describing the pt.

I'm tired of being the last filter of humanity. If they are from nowhere, have nowhere to go, have no insurance, and require even a little medical assistance, there's only one place left for them - here with me. Because I had 'em last, and everybody else knows they don't have to take the pt. They can tell their colleagues "I guess she'll be in the hospital until she finds placement," and never think of it again.

I'm tired of feeling ignorant. But, the last thing I usually want to do when I do have time is read more about medicine. I already spend my 80 hour weeks in the hospital. I know, I know, some people spend more hours in the hospital AND still read AND spend time with their significant others AND fix up their house/apartment AND run in local charity event 10K's etc etc. I'm the intern who, after leaving the hospital, wants to relax and not do much of anything if possible. I really am concerned about Ms Jones' obscure autoimmune disorder, but damned if I'm going to read about it on my day off when the sun is out and I've been living under fluorescent lights the other 6 days of the week.

Our new interns start soon. I'm anticipating the eagerness. Rock on with your bad selves. May you enjoy intern year as best you can.

Members don't see this ad.

Finishing my last call night of intern year. Holy s*** has it sucked. Most of my fellow interns are saying it hasn't been that bad, etc, etc. I'm gonna come on out of the closet and say, to hell with that, it's sucked. I'm so tired of pages about constipation, diarrhea, low back pain, falls, headaches, "do we really need to culture him?," nurses second guessing my narcotic orders, nurses diagnosing pts with fictional disorders, nurses not getting access by not really trying, pt's who refuse to be stuck when they're acutely ill and hospitalized, pt's (and families) who ask how many times I've done this procedure, pt's wanting to drag that chest tube out with them to smoke. I'll probably be the butt-head consultant next year, but for now, I'm sick of having to play up my pt's to justify the consult, sick of the rude "so what's your question" when I'm one sentence into describing the pt.

Amen, amen, amen. It's as if you were on call with me last night. The hospital was full of looney tunes, bitchy patients, ignorant families mumbling "negligence", pts refusing to be stuck, and people looking to blame me and the world for all of their problems. NO MORE MEDICINE CALL. Praise Jesus.

Amen, amen, amen. It's as if you were on call with me last night. The hospital was full of looney tunes, bitchy patients, ignorant families mumbling "negligence", pts refusing to be stuck, and people looking to blame me and the world for all of their problems. NO MORE MEDICINE CALL. Praise Jesus.

I know it's wrong but there are days when I think dark evil thoughts at those people. It's like having your hands tied behind your back, and your feet tied together to a rock and then pushed overboard into the sea. I can't take the blood from you, I can't discharge you cause you're noncomplaint and I can't just leave you in the hospital without treating you.... hmm... *bang head on wall* *I can hear the echo of medicare dollars going down the drain as we wait for the patient to realize time has stopped just for him.*

I'm tired of being the last filter of humanity. If they are from nowhere, have nowhere to go, have no insurance, and require even a little medical assistance, there's only one place left for them - here with me. Because I had 'em last, and everybody else knows they don't have to take the pt. They can tell their colleagues "I guess she'll be in the hospital until she finds placement," and never think of it again.

I'm tired of feeling ignorant. But, the last thing I usually want to do when I do have time is read more about medicine. I already spend my 80 hour weeks in the hospital. I know, I know, some people spend more hours in the hospital AND still read AND spend time with their significant others AND fix up their house/apartment AND run in local charity event 10K's etc etc. I'm the intern who, after leaving the hospital, wants to relax and not do much of anything if possible. I really am concerned about Ms Jones' obscure autoimmune disorder, but damned if I'm going to read about it on my day off when the sun is out and I've been living under fluorescent lights the other 6 days of the week.

Our new interns start soon. I'm anticipating the eagerness. Rock on with your bad selves. May you enjoy intern year as best you can.

I could not agree more with your refreshing honesty! Now I am off to run a marathon for the Passive Aggressive Nurse Foundation of America (PANFA) since I have the day off. I have raised $4000 so next year's interns can benefit from the proceeds.

I too took my last call as an intern last night. I have to admit that I've been living under quite the white cloud this year. Not that I haven't had some crazy busy months but, all in all, it's been tolerable. My last call was a pretty sweet one...7 admits, last one @ 9:30 on a team w/ 2 interns and a great Sub-I and the last guy was a bounce to a different team (record bounce time too, 5 hours between cutting off the wristband and calling 911...and he lives about an hour from the hospital). I didn't get paged from 12:45 until 6:45 when my co-intern finally woke me up. It was the best night's sleep I've had in 5 weeks (I have a 5wk old baby).

Good luck to all next year and congratulations on surviving intern year.

great thread - and all i can say is hallejuah and amen!

the 'ish' is CRAZY. i made it though with a smile on my face, but looking back, that year was insane. i am sooooo glad new interns are coming in. good lord.

Last call for last call! Did you have the last post-call cocktails? Nothing says medicine like a Sapphire and tonic at 7:30 (when you were on a service that didn't round until the bars actually opened).

Which brings me to point out that to most of the world (the sane part) "last call" has a totally different meaning.

Congrats man.