Last Call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucky_deadman

Working Class Hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm quickly rolling up on the very last call of my residency and very likely my career. :soexcited: :highfive:

Anyone have any traditions out there (either personal or residency based) for when one completes their last night of call?

Members don't see this ad.

I did my last call back in July on Trauma. It was a terrible call where I was running the whole time, but I felt untouchable knowing it was the last ever. No glorious ceremony when I got off, just popped open a cold one and went to bed very happy.

i made a point of telling the whole trauma team that this particular random day in October was a very monumental occasion in my medical career. The attending who'd already offered to buy everyone dinner said she was rescinding her offer if I brought it up again...

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to favorite local dive. Prop self up on end of bar. Drink all night. When he says "last call," you reply "damn right it is." Take taxi home.

I vote that you make yourself available to any future EM residents and offer to take their call.

Let me try to recall what I did after my last call....

Oh yeah, I remember.... SLEEP.

Take care,
Jeff

Strangely, I've been remarkably well rested since then. I SO picked the right specialty! :)

I thought it was the last call of my life after 3rd year PICU. I am currently on call for the next 7 hours. (I'm getting paid 20 dollars an hour to surf the internet, so I'll survive I guess).

Finished my last call on Trauma last month...it was a great feeling, and I did rub it in a little to the surg. residents. Yet another perk of the EM field.:D

Go to favorite local dive. Prop self up on end of bar. Drink all night. When he says "last call," you reply "damn right it is." Take taxi home.

Sounds like damn good advice. :D