Last day to change MCAT date is today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duravi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am having a minor panic attack as I type this. I just received an email from AAMC saying today at midnight (ET) is the last day to make changes to the MCAT day. I'm currently registered for the may 24th day but desperately need to change to the 31st of may. Also, there are no available spots in my state of IL. I called AAMC to ask them about this concern and their office is closed.

Any ideas on what to do?

Please help a fellow pre-med out as soon as possible

Members don't see this ad.

Plan to take the May 24 test, if physically possible. At the same time, email and leave messages about your situation with AAMC about MCAT test day issues.

Unless maybe you can find a may 31st MCAT in another state, and affoard the 240 USD, take the May 24th - and void if you feel bad at the end.

Definately do not try to take two real MCATs within even one month of each other, that burn out will drop your score.

I would reccommend taking late June to allow proper time to reset, that delays your app and still allows for a good performance on test day.

alexrgross, thank you for your prompt reply. Are you saying that if I contact AAMC, they might give me an exception? I'm looking right now and my state is filled up until the 6th of july, which is wayyy too far from when I want to take the mcat.

the 31st of may date is available only to states that are too far from me, and even then it says 'no available seats'

at this point, money is not an issue. in the case that i void the 24th of may test date, how will I be guaranteed another test date spot (let's say june 21) in my state?

I sincerely apologise for all of the questions, i'm just unsure of my situation and what to do at this point in time. best regards,

Members don't see this ad :)
alexrgross, thank you for your prompt reply. Are you saying that if I contact AAMC, they might give me an exception? I'm looking right now and my state is filled up until the 6th of july, which is wayyy too far from when I want to take the mcat.

the 31st of may date is available only to states that are too far from me, and even then it says 'no available seats'

at this point, money is not an issue. in the case that i void the 24th of may test date, how will I be guaranteed another test date spot (let's say june 21) in my state?

I sincerely apologise for all of the questions, i'm just unsure of my situation and what to do at this point in time. best regards,

They probably will not grant you an exception, though I know you can try to negotiate that with AAMC.

That people cancel a couple weeks before the test is common, so you can try and get a seat reserved this way - on June 21st.

Reserve the earliest test date you can, and change later when the June 21st people give up their seats.

Be cautious with too much shifting of tests dates, that can have big reprocussions in planning and test day performance....

I highly doubt you can do anything to negotiate. The terms of registering/rescheduling/canceling are very well outlined, which you had to read when you registered.

Reserve the earliest test date you can, and change later when the June 21st people give up their seats.

^This would be your best option. Reschedule for July 6 (which is definitely not too late to take it, by the way) and then watch the openings like a hawk 2 weeks prior to the date you want. You can only reschedule 14 or more days before the test date.

What's stopping you from taking it on your original test date?

Thank you very much for the replies. I fleetingly signed up for the 31st in Colorado (which is a mistake because it's too far), but at least it gives me 7 more days to watch the site like a hawk. Signing up for late jun or july would've given me more time, but I didn't want to risk losing the month of may. I'll do that worst case scenario and be out another $70.

I'm not prepared for the 24th, and although an extra 5-6 days may not seem like much, I hope that it will be sufficient in finalising my studies.

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

Thank you very much for the replies. I fleetingly signed up for the 31st in Colorado (which is a mistake because it's too far), but at least it gives me 7 more days to watch the site like a hawk. Signing up for late jun or july would've given me more time, but I didn't want to risk losing the month of may. I'll do that worst case scenario and be out another $70.

I'm not prepared for the 24th, and although an extra 5-6 days may not seem like much, I hope that it will be sufficient in finalising my studies.

Thanks for all of the replies so far!

I'm all for suggesting that if you're not prepared, don't take it, but honestly 5 extra days won't make a difference. In fact, you should be laying off the MCAT materials for 1-2 days before so you don't burn yourself out.

I would argue that keeping your instate test date is much, much better than trying to delay for a couple of days and traveling out of state. You're having a knee jerk reaction thats going to hurt you much more than 5 days of extra studying.

Chill.

If you live in Illinois, why did you schedule your test in Colorado? It's like 800 miles away. :confused:

Duravi,

I just wanted to clarify some things for you and give you some honest advice. This is the link to the information on the MCAT cancellation and rescheduling process. Note there is NO appeal process.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/reserving/85516/reserving_changesandcancellations.html

If regards to your situation. In Illinois the testing dates fill up very quickly so you have a very slim chance of being able to push your test back 6 days at this point. With that in mind you need to consider how ready you are to take the test. Are your practice exams averaging close to where you want to be on the real thing? If they aren't 5-6 days are probably not enough time to gain significant improvement.

Like you stated in your reply worst case scenario you move your test day to June/ July. An important thing to remember in regards to the AMCAS application you can still submit your primary application with a "pending" MCAT score. This way you aren't too behind in the applicant pool of rolling admissions. Also remember there is no reason in rushing an MCAT if you truly aren't ready. You want to take the test once and avoid having to repeat taking it and having a score you are unhappy with you on your application.

If you have more questions please let me know!

Pat