Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go to a mid-tier USMD school on the east coast. I was initially thinking of doing a competitive specialty but changed my mind to IM at the end of 3rd year. I want to go into academic IM with fellowship afterwards. I am a non-trad with careers in software engineering and computational biology prior to medical school. Here are my stats:
Step 1: Pass on first attempt
Step 2: 249 (I know)
Preclinical grades: All honors
Clinical grades: 4 honors (Peds, Family Med, Psych, OB), 3 HP (IM, neurology, surgery)
AOA
Research: 18 research items (6 publications, 2 oral presentations, rest conference posters). Most of them from the competitive specialty.
1 leadership, 2 volunteering during medical school.
Geographic preference: Middle Atlantic, South Atlantic, Pacific (have family ties in these places)
Gold: University of Washington, Mount Sinai Main, UPenn/Penn Hospital
Silver: Home program, Rutgers RWJ, Temple, Stony Brook, Mount Sinai West/Morningside, Maryland, George Washington, JHU-Bayview, Sidney Kimmel, UC Irvine, NYU, OHSU.
Are my gold signals too high reach? Do I change these to something else?
Step 1: Pass on first attempt
Step 2: 249 (I know)
Preclinical grades: All honors
Clinical grades: 4 honors (Peds, Family Med, Psych, OB), 3 HP (IM, neurology, surgery)
AOA
Research: 18 research items (6 publications, 2 oral presentations, rest conference posters). Most of them from the competitive specialty.
1 leadership, 2 volunteering during medical school.
Geographic preference: Middle Atlantic, South Atlantic, Pacific (have family ties in these places)
Gold: University of Washington, Mount Sinai Main, UPenn/Penn Hospital
Silver: Home program, Rutgers RWJ, Temple, Stony Brook, Mount Sinai West/Morningside, Maryland, George Washington, JHU-Bayview, Sidney Kimmel, UC Irvine, NYU, OHSU.
Are my gold signals too high reach? Do I change these to something else?