Last minute interview invite has me conflicted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluebird14

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So originally WesternU was my first choice but back in December/ January when I was doing interviews, I did not receive an invite from them. I was told that I was missing an English credit and they were requesting a syllabus from a course taken in 2014 to see if that course could cover the credit. I was unable to get the syllabus and sort of accepted that I would not be going there. I received other acceptances and committed to Temple. I literally just signed my lease for an apartment in Philly last week. On Friday, I got a call from Western asking again if I had the syllabus and I said no, that I was unable to get it. She said okay and that she would push my application through anyway and see if the committee wanted to consider me. Well they did consider me and I just got an interview invite this morning. I'm so frustrated bc if it was that easy for them to just push the app through, then why couldn't they have done this 5 months ago. Has this ever happened to anyone? What should I do?
 
So originally WesternU was my first choice but back in December/ January when I was doing interviews, I did not receive an invite from them. I was told that I was missing an English credit and they were requesting a syllabus from a course taken in 2014 to see if that course could cover the credit. I was unable to get the syllabus and sort of accepted that I would not be going there. I received other acceptances and committed to Temple. I literally just signed my lease for an apartment in Philly last week. On Friday, I got a call from Western asking again if I had the syllabus and I said no, that I was unable to get it. She said okay and that she would push my application through anyway and see if the committee wanted to consider me. Well they did consider me and I just got an interview invite this morning. I'm so frustrated bc if it was that easy for them to just push the app through, then why couldn't they have done this 5 months ago. Has this ever happened to anyone? What should I do?
Hi futurepod!

That definitely sounds frustrating and I'm sorry you had to experience that. I can't speak to how exactly the admissions process works, but as a first year student at WesternU, I hope you went through with the interview especially since Covid has made all the interviews online via zoom!

I would say, your decisions should definitely depend on what your'e looking to do after school. If you wanted to practice in California then don't even stress the last minute call, just be glad the call came! It is more than probable that residency opportunities, job opportunities or any other endeavors in the future will also have these types of situations pop up. It may not be the best situations, but if you roll with the punches, you can always make lemonade out of lemons. And if WesternU was your first option then definitely take it!

It's interesting how life throws us curveballs every now and then. But I'm hoping things turned out for the best! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

As a first year student I can definitely say I've had such an interesting experience so far even during the pandemic and have learned so much more than I ever thought I would learn. Our program runs side by side with the DO program here and they totally emphasize putting us on the same level with our cohorts!