last minute rank question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

x10694

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am conflicted as to whether I should rank an easy transitional year above moderately hard prelim year. Does the rigor of intern year matter at all? I am interested in pain/critical care for future fellowships.

Members don't see this ad.

Rank the program where you think you'll be happiest the highest. I'm in the middle of a fairly rigorous intern year, and I've come to realize that working harder doesn't necessarily mean learning more. Good luck in the match!

I am conflicted as to whether I should rank an easy transitional year above moderately hard prelim year. Does the rigor of intern year matter at all? I am interested in pain/critical care for future fellowships.

Rank the easiest prelim you can find and never look back, you'll thank me one day

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same question. One of my top choices for TY seems to be very family-friendly and the PD is fantastic. I am nervous that it is not rigorous enough. It is very close to some family members who are struggling with health issues. Rank it high and don't think twice, right? I want to be a good physician - seriously - but I also don't want to lose out being near family who won't be here much longer.

I have the same question. One of my top choices for TY seems to be very family-friendly and the PD is fantastic. I am nervous that it is not rigorous enough. It is very close to some family members who are struggling with health issues. Rank it high and don't think twice, right? I want to be a good physician - seriously - but I also don't want to lose out being near family who won't be here much longer.

Rank the easier TY. If you want to become a good physician, you will motivate yourself to work hard and learn. However, if you feel the need to kick back and relax (like most of us do on occasion), you have that option at the easier TY. Good luck trying to do that at the hard prelim year where they give you all the exhausting rotations because they know you're absolutely cheap labor and you won't be around after the year.

Don't be a masochist for the sake of it. Basically during intern year you are the prison BIT%H. You get to do all the data collection and will likely be so busy you won't learn near as much as medical school. Also, as a TY you belong to no one and are basically temp help. That means each service you rotate on has 0 interest in going out of there way to teach you. In the end you will learn much more at a place where you can read more. Go to the easier program near your family!

Thank you for this advice. I ranked the two TYs nearest my family at the top of my supplemental list, and I'm not giving it another thought.

Definitely the easy TY. Currently at one and could not be happier with my decision. Like one of the others stated - a harder year does not mean you are going to learn more. Sure you may have more medicine months but unless you know you're going to be seeing a wide variety of pathologies (that would also be applicable to anesthesia) with each additional months, you won't be gaining a lot from it, and definitely not all the headache that comes along with it. Instead, you can take that time to a) relax, b) have fun, and/or c)read anesthesia.

I only ranked categorical programs; I'm sure the base year will be more difficult than many TY programs, but it is organized by the anesthesia dept so it seems more relevant than general prelim med/surg. Also, you're under the umbrella of your dept so they have your back if you are truly being abused (probably a high threshold, but better than nothing). Why don't you rank categoricals?

The way I see it, if you like a program and want to train there...that's that. I know some people talk about ranking categoricals separately from the advanced programs, but for me it goes by where I'll do my anesthesia training rather than whether I'll have to move after a year. But, everyone has their own needs and limitations.

Ranking only categoricals seriously curtails your options/chances of matching in general I would say (baller applicants possibly excluded).

the way i see it, if you like a program and want to train there...that's that. i know some people talk about ranking categoricals separately from the advanced programs, but for me it goes by where i'll do my anesthesia training rather than whether i'll have to move after a year. But, everyone has their own needs and limitations.

Ranking only categoricals seriously curtails your options/chances of matching in general i would say (baller applicants possibly excluded).

+1