last minute step 2 cs study tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entranced

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am taking Step 2 CS soon and I was hoping to get some advice for it. I am an AMG and was just planning to scan through FA the day before the exam since I have really only given myself one full day to study for it. Is this sufficient? My classmates keep telling me that it's not too hard to pass this exam, but I'm not so sure. Couple other questions:

1) I like to percuss with my reflex hammer-is there a hammer provided in each room? Can I bring my own?
2) Need to do the Rinne or Weber tests on anyone?
3) I can bring my own steth I am assuming...
4) I am really bad at performing the Musculoskeletal Exam-was this necessary for the test and what elements of this do I need to tackle to receive credit
5) Should the cards exam be done while the patient is supine or sitting up
6) I need to memorize the MMSE I'm assuming?
7) Is it still possible to mess up quite a few cases and still do well...

Members don't see this ad.

The exam is not hard to pass, but all the questions you asked are tell me that you really need to go through First Aid and learn the rules that they mention with regard to patient contact and counselling. Everything is there right from position of cardiac ausculatation to when to Rinne's test. You cannot bring any equipment of your own other than a standard steth.

Learn First Aid(takes 1.5 days at max) and you should be fine.

But, remember that people do fail and do not underestimate the exam.

The exam is not hard to pass, but all the questions you asked are tell me that you really need to go through First Aid and learn the rules that they mention with regard to patient contact and counselling. Everything is there right from position of cardiac ausculatation to when to Rinne's test. You cannot bring any equipment of your own other than a standard steth.

Learn First Aid(takes 1.5 days at max) and you should be fine.

But, remember that people do fail and do not underestimate the exam.

cool, thanks for your help. quick question for anyone who has taken CS-is additional counseling about stds, alcohol, smoking etc something that i could list as part of the diagnostic workup? or do the 5 workup things have to be tests, labs, or imaging modalities?