Last possible date...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serpiente

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the last possible date one could take step2CK or CS and still get scores in by ranking deadline 2/22?
In example, the USMLE website states that you need to take CS by 1/31 in order to have "scores for the match" but what does this really mean? I don't care if I have a score on match day, won't do me much good then. Is it possible that one could take CS on 1/30, receive a score in enough time to report it to programs by ranking deadline? It seems dubious to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

word is 4-12 weeks for the results of the CS.. so counting backwards..you are looking at Nov 22.The CS is BS

serpiente said:
What is the last possible date one could take step2CK or CS and still get scores in by ranking deadline 2/22?
In example, the USMLE website states that you need to take CS by 1/31 in order to have "scores for the match" but what does this really mean? I don't care if I have a score on match day, won't do me much good then. Is it possible that one could take CS on 1/30, receive a score in enough time to report it to programs by ranking deadline? It seems dubious to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

woaah, i wasn't aware of a "ranking deadline" for step2 CS. what exactly are you referring to? i'm not scheduled to take the test until late march... is this going to interfere with me ranking programs/matching? i was under the impression that it is still not a hard requirement for IM programs...

i hope i'm not screwed.

Zolpidem25 said:
woaah, i wasn't aware of a "ranking deadline" for step2 CS. what exactly are you referring to? i'm not scheduled to take the test until late march... is this going to interfere with me ranking programs/matching? i was under the impression that it is still not a hard requirement for IM programs...

i hope i'm not screwed.

Hi Zolpidem, (good stuff btw, could use it now during interview season :scared: ) anyway, apparently some PD's will use this as "in order to be ranked" but they will let you know when they invite you that it needs to be complete and other programs "with all things being equal, those with all of the steps completed will have an advantage" are the words that have been noted by applicants (myself for the latter)

HOpe this helps! I'm SURE you will be fine though. I went through heck to get a sooner date and I've just given up, I'm taking it when I'm taking it and thats it!

Poety said:
Hi Zolpidem, (good stuff btw, could use it now during interview season :scared: ) anyway, apparently some PD's will use this as "in order to be ranked" but they will let you know when they invite you that it needs to be complete and other programs "with all things being equal, those with all of the steps completed will have an advantage" are the words that have been noted by applicants (myself for the latter)

HOpe this helps! I'm SURE you will be fine though. I went through heck to get a sooner date and I've just given up, I'm taking it when I'm taking it and thats it!

Hi Poety -- is that cute baby yours?
yeah, i a little zolpy goes a long way....

none of the programs' websites mention anything about step2 CS.... and all along, my medical school has been telling me that as long as i have taken it before graduation, i will be fine... maybe they were just referring to their own graduation requirement. i can't believe this is so unclear. if i show up at an interview, and they tell me that in order for us to rank you, you must have posted a step2 CS score, then i don't know what i would do....

arrrrgh....

Zolpidem-That is not what I meant at all. None of the IM programs I applied to (or any I've heard of except Dartmouth) require step 2CS or CK prior to ranking. I personally was hoping to take the tests in enough time to submit scores prior to ranking just to help my chances, you know what I mean?
Unfortunately I'm doing away rotations etc that are making it hard for me to find any time to take the exams prior to end of Dec. So I'm thinking it will be too late, at least for CS.

serpiente said:
Zolpidem-That is not what I meant at all. None of the IM programs I applied to (or any I've heard of except Dartmouth) require step 2CS or CK prior to ranking. I personally was hoping to take the tests in enough time to submit scores prior to ranking just to help my chances, you know what I mean?
Unfortunately I'm doing away rotations etc that are making it hard for me to find any time to take the exams prior to end of Dec. So I'm thinking it will be too late, at least for CS.

gotcha -- thanks for the clarification, serpiente.

:)