Last semester before applying! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stu403270

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm on my winter break after finishing my fall semester of Jr. year at U of I. I've signed up to take the MCAT at the end of April (22nd) and from the looks of it, I'm going to end up with a cGPA: ~3.4 and sGPA: ~3.3 (maybe a little higher) if I perform well this semester, which I definitely will. I'm planning on tackling this MCAT for a solid 4 months and hopefully do well, despite not being the best at standardized testing in my opinion. I just feel really down about my GPA and wanted to reach out to all of you to see what I can do at by the end of this next semester to really beef up my application. This coming semester I'll also be doing a poster presentation for my research on obesity, so hopefully that'll look good, and potentially get one publication. I'm an URM (Latino) and very disadvantaged socioeconomically (parents make ****). I'd say the biggest contributors to my low GPA were the first 3 semester of college for me. I got 2 C+'s in that time frame and mostly B's compared to A's. After that, however, I started nailing my science courses and started getting more A's than B's, and never got close to a C again. This semester I got an A in Biochem, which made me insanely proud. So I'd say I have an upward trend. One of the C's was in Calc 2, when i was debating a Math double major, but decided against it, it wasn't even a requirement for my Bio degree. I just want to hear people's opinions on how much of a shot I have at MD at this point and if there's anything significant I can do that'll really give me an edge. By the end of this semester I'll also have over 100 hours of volunteering at the hospital on campus with nearly all of them having patient contact, but I've only done ~15 hours of shadowing with a family medicine doctor. I also plan on getting some strong LOR.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

upward trends are great. kill the MCAT, apply broadly and early, and you definitely have a shot.

you'll also get more concrete advice on here once your MCAT score comes back. as an URM your GPA and upward trend put MD within reach.

You could end with a 3.6 if you get a 4.0 in all remaining semesters
So OP, hope isn't over..
A 3.6 and a great MCAT with greats ECs still gives you a chance at top schools.
You have 3 semesters left right?
Use this calculator
http://gpacalculator.net/how-to-raise-gpa/

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be totally fine. I know plenty of people who got in with those stats.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but if you have a 2.0 you should totally reevaluate your potential life options.

:wtf:

Where does OP say his GPA is 2.0?

OP, you have a great shot at getting into med school your first try. Don't listen to the haters.

:wtf:

Where does OP say his GPA is 2.0?

OP, you have a great shot at getting into med school your first try. Don't listen to the haters.
I'm sorry. I had two boxes open. I replied to the wrong thread in teh wrong box. I think the OP will be fine.

Wow, thank you all so much for your reassurance! I'm going to give this next semester everything I have and try and destroy this MCAT! Much love to you all!