Last semester grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mage

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got my grades, everything pretty much as expected...but one point really miffed me...I got a C in the "Fundamentals of Life Science I Lab" ...it's the introductory biology lab (i had tested out of the lectures a couple years back with AP tests, but had to take the stupid labs this last semester in order to graduate)...will adcoms really care at this point? I wanted to smash my head against the wall every second I was in that lab class (the first day, we spent 30 minutes going over the scientific method...-twice-) and my TA was a vindictive grad student from Columbia, bitter about teaching the class, being at that university, and being a grad student period.

Ironic thing is, I got a B+ in the Life Sci II lab (I also took that this term) and a B in Immunology lab (took that as well)...I had a 21 hour schedule incl. immunology + lab, biochem, physical chem, biology writing intensive, 1st aid, medical terminology (heh, easy A), so I decided to put my priorities straight. I ended up getting B+s in all my classes except physical chem and med. terminology (both As) and immunology lab (B) but...ack...I didn't want to end my last semester with a bunch of Bs :/ Because I'm still waiting for interview invites from UCincinnati and OSU, and I thought it might've been because of my GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say don't sweat it. Just be prepared to tell why you think you got a C, but don't blame too much on the TA. That won't look good.

People get into med school every year with a few C's, really it happens. We can't all be 4.00 's.

Amy

C's aren't the end of the world.

I have two that Adcomms see (Calculus and Biochem II), and one that they haven't seen yet (Physiology), however I just had my second interview today. So they'll still look at you. Notice that every C hurts my Science GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why didn't AP Bio count for the labs for you? It did for me? That sucks, but I'm sure you don't have to worry much about it...

My high school's "lab" consisted of watching hercules claymation movies and bouncing shark eggs on the floor :rolleyes: (These were my teacher's ideas. Though it's not like this lab was any more constructive). So they gave me credit for the lecture classes but not the labs...but they let me take more advanced bio courses in the meantime. It just irks me that, taking the class as a senior biology major, there was absolutely no worth in it at all, even to the freshmen. Perhaps it's expected, given my university's caliber, but it contributed a great deal of stress and frustration, and out of a 21 hour schedule, forced me to spread myself too thin. But, everyone has to go through it, I suppose...labs remind me of Great Expectations...machinations of old, bitter coots.

I know how you feel. In fact, I took the same class and got the same grade. I go to UT too. I thought the class was pretty stupid myself but my TA was pretty good.