Last Year's Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmed2014

ILLINOIS CVM C/O 2015!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it's my second go-round for applying to vet school. I got an interview at Illinois last year, but didn't get in there or anywhere else (obviously). My question is: would it be bad to use the same VMCAS personal statement that I used last year?

I talked to someone at Illinois, and she said that I scored pretty high on the VMCAS PS. They said (regarding using the same PS) that it would be "okay to use the same basic structure and add a few things." Obviously, I'm going to add some things and change a little bit, but I feel like my personal statement that I wrote last year really describes everything I feel about my desire to become a veterinarian. BUT, I also don't want them to remember my essay and realize I wrote the same damn thing.

I just wanted to get some input from my fellow applicants/current vet students.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I doubt that with the large number of PS's they read every year they will remember yours, so you shouldn't worry about that.

I would look at your statement and see if there are things you'd like to improve on and/or add. I am using many elements from the one I submitted last year (I was waitlisted to three schools and in file reviews the admissions people didn't say there was anything wrong with my PS). Some people on here have suggested to not even looking at your old one and starting fresh, but I started editing mine and it has turned into something very different, but already its something I'm more happy with.

Personally, last year I was reading my PS multiple times a day for over a month and once I submitted it I could not look at it again. So when I looked at it to start editing this time around, there were things I didn't like. The time away from it has given me perspective so I could objectively look at it and see that I wanted to change much of it. And although I started with the same PS, it is now very different.

I think that you should definitely update your PS at the very least. If you are happy with the overall content/flow of the one from last year, then I don't think that there's anything wrong with recycling most of it. But if you look there probably are ways you could alter it to make it stronger.

I re-applied after being waitlisted, and re-used my personal statement. I figured - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It didn't seem to bother the two schools i got into :). Of course, it was updated, and I added some details so that they would know that I had grown and continued to develop as an applicant. I think that if you read your own PS now, and it all still rings true - then it's fine. The adcoms want to know YOU a bit better. If you still feel like your PS does the best job possible (with such limited space) of letting them get a glimpse into your life, then stick with it.

Hey, thanks a lot, guys! That really helps a lot. I've been worrying myself over using the same one, and I'm glad to hear both someone in my position being waitlisted (goldielocks) AND someone who got in (Pearl) agree that it's alright! I'm definitely going to alter it a little bit, and not just copy+paste.

Pearl, how are you liking UC Davis? I'm applying there this go-round.