Late app school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe Jewel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope everyone is safe and well. While I don't tend to share a lot about my situation, I believe that there can be some good insights on here. I am a non-trad and have the following profile:

- GPA: undergraduate~ 3.85, science~ 3.75, MBA~ 4.0, MBS~ 2.9 (3.6 excluding the 2 classes I couldn't take tests for because of work)
- MCAT: 505~ 65% (126/125/127/127)
- Non-native English speaker
- About ~200 hours of volunteering
- Working at urgent care clinic in registration
- White/Middle-Eastern
- Living in NM

A little elaboration after the snapshot, I have wanted to apply to medical school for nearly a decade if it wasn't for circumstances mainly revolving around my immigration status (as an international student; although my family has been in America for over seven decades I grew up overseas). I finally took the MCAT this cycle for the first time in late September. I need insights from people with experience along with my academic advisor and medical mentor. What are some MD and DO programs I should consider at this time (I have no real preferences for school location or tier). Any general advice and specific strategies are much appreciated and valued.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

How far are you in the amcas app? Is your primary app verified?

Hey @hamiltonnyc thank you for your question. In all honesty, I have not submitted my app yet, and I know that it maybe too late! I have never applied and my advisor has some personal matters that have delayed our communication over the past few weeks. My concern is that I am missing out on possible MD programs if I apply this cycle but I would rather go to DO if I get fortunate than wait another year (since I am not planning to retake the MCAT unless it is a must). I have shadowed MD and DO and as many of us know they go through very similar schooling, nearly identical training, and have the same work environment. My goal is to attend medical school as soon as I can after all those years waiting :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not familiar with the DO timeline, but for MD if you're verified and can get secondaries done in a day turnaround, you might have a chance. If you haven't submitted, I assume you'll need weeks to get to complete, and that unfortunately is pretty late everywhere, especially without a particularly strong application.

Someone else can chime in on DO, but for MD it might be better to skip it to not be considered a reapplicant.

Hello all,

Hope everyone is safe and well. While I don't tend to share a lot about my situation, I believe that there can be some good insights on here. I am a non-trad and have the following profile:

- GPA: undergraduate~ 3.85, science~ 3.75, MBA~ 4.0, MBS~ 2.9 (3.6 excluding the 2 classes I couldn't take tests for because of work)
- MCAT: 505~ 65% (126/125/127/127)
- Non-native English speaker
- About ~200 hours of volunteering
- Working at urgent care clinic in registration
- White/Middle-Eastern
- Living in NM

A little elaboration after the snapshot, I have wanted to apply to medical school for nearly a decade if it wasn't for circumstances mainly revolving around my immigration status (as an international student; although my family has been in America for over seven decades I grew up overseas). I finally took the MCAT this cycle for the first time in late September. I need insights from people with experience along with my academic advisor and medical mentor. What are some MD and DO programs I should consider at this time (I have no real preferences for school location or tier). Any general advice and specific strategies are much appreciated and valued.

Thank you.
I think that it's too late for MD, but fine for DO. For the latter, I suggest: Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

You have a good shot an UNM - I would wait till next cycle.

I think that it's too late for MD, but fine for DO. For the latter, I suggest: Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

As always @Goro thank you so much for all you do in those forums. You bring up the points that crossed my mind. To make it short, would I have a shot at MD (perhaps UNM as @GreenDuck12 alluded to) whether this cycle (as a latecomer) or next cycle? I am not interested in retaking the MCAT at this point until I find out my chances for a 2021 enrollment. Also, not sure if I would be able to improve my score by a bunch (C/P: I felt that I got below 123 after the test and ended up with 126 despite not having taken a chemistry or physics class in nearly a decade, CARS: as an ESL it is the biggest struggle and as a matter of fact I think I got 125 on my last four FL's just like the real deal, so the only sections I might have a shot at are the B/B and P/S and I got 127 on both so maybe 128/29 which wouldn't make my total crack the 510). I am planning on casting a wide net for DO and taking your recommendations into consideration. Out of curiosity, what would an MD list for my situation look like? I know it maybe limited but as a first time applicant I cannot figure it out through the MSAR (with all the numbers) and my advisor is out on leave... Thank you much.

As always @Goro thank you so much for all you do in those forums. You bring up the points that crossed my mind. To make it short, would I have a shot at MD (perhaps UNM as @GreenDuck12 alluded to) whether this cycle (as a latecomer) or next cycle? I am not interested in retaking the MCAT at this point until I find out my chances for a 2021 enrollment. Also, not sure if I would be able to improve my score by a bunch (C/P: I felt that I got below 123 after the test and ended up with 126 despite not having taken a chemistry or physics class in nearly a decade, CARS: as an ESL it is the biggest struggle and as a matter of fact I think I got 125 on my last four FL's just like the real deal, so the only sections I might have a shot at are the B/B and P/S and I got 127 on both so maybe 128/29 which wouldn't make my total crack the 510). I am planning on casting a wide net for DO and taking your recommendations into consideration. Out of curiosity, what would an MD list for my situation look like? I know it maybe limited but as a first time applicant I cannot figure it out through the MSAR (with all the numbers) and my advisor is out on leave... Thank you much.
Definitely apply to U NM! State schools favor the home team!

A 505 MCAT score isn't lethal, but it's not great. Applying now for MD would simply leave you outclassed by stronger applicants who have already applied.
These are the schools where you would be competitive:

Seton Hall
Tulane
Temple (maybe)
Oakland U Beaumont
Wayne State
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
U NM

Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are in range for UNM (their median MCAT is a 506). That being said, you are applying very late in the cycle. UNM has a deadline of November 2nd. Since you have not started AMCAS, it would not be feasible for you to apply this cycle. It will take time to prepare and polish a personal statement, gather letters of recommendation, submit transcripts, submit the primary application for verification, wait to receive a secondary application, and complete your secondary application. Your best bet (for MD admissions) will be to spend the next year getting all of the components in place for your application: essays, letters of rec, clinical hours, shadowing, etc.

Thank you @Goro and @GreenDuck12 for the great feedback. As for AMCAS and AACOMAS, I have about 85% of the application ready (except for an LOR, final touches on P.S., and selecting the schools). I am planning to submit this week as I just received my MCAT score yesterday (was expecting a sub-500 :). I will reach out to a couple of schools from Goro's list and let them know that I submitted. While I do not expect much feedback I would like to give it a shot. In regards to UNM, I just heard back from them today and they were inviting to apply but didn't encourage it or sound committed. You guys are life savers.

BTW, I like the MD list since I'm interested in the Midwest schools in Chicagoland, Metro Detroit, and Wisconsin. I also like the smaller private schools in NJ and PA. Wish me luck...

Really appreciate it

@Joe Jewel no offense but I am gonna be straight up: YOU ARE APPLYING WAY, WAY, WAY TOO LATE IN THE CYCLE. Do yourself a humungous favor and apply next cycle, when all your ducks are in a row. Make a note of the day that the app opens in your calender, make a CV so that you can organize your app in advance, and shoot.

As has been said before, ALL schools admit applicants on a rolling basis--this means first come, first serve. I can't stress this enough--no matter how good your app is, you put yourself at quite a disadvantage by applying in mid-October.

May is the way to go.
GL

Thank you @Goro and @GreenDuck12 for the great feedback. As for AMCAS and AACOMAS, I have about 85% of the application ready (except for an LOR, final touches on P.S., and selecting the schools). I am planning to submit this week as I just received my MCAT score yesterday (was expecting a sub-500 :). I will reach out to a couple of schools from Goro's list and let them know that I submitted. While I do not expect much feedback I would like to give it a shot. In regards to UNM, I just heard back from them today and they were inviting to apply but didn't encourage it or sound committed. You guys are life savers.

BTW, I like the MD list since I'm interested in the Midwest schools in Chicagoland, Metro Detroit, and Wisconsin. I also like the smaller private schools in NJ and PA. Wish me luck...

Really appreciate it
I'm going to second some of the above posts and say wait for next cycle. The last thing you want to do is be a reapplicant - put the best foot forward the first time. You only want to apply once - that being said, it is totally your choice. You're fine for all DO. It is my understanding from reading SDN that some schools save interview invites for the late stellar applicants. Unfortunately, that 505 is holding you back.

@Joe Jewel no offense but I am gonna be straight up: YOU ARE APPLYING WAY, WAY, WAY TOO LATE IN THE CYCLE. Do yourself a humungous favor and apply next cycle, when all your ducks are in a row. Make a note of the day that the app opens in your calender, make a CV so that you can organize your app in advance, and shoot.

As has been said before, ALL schools admit applicants on a rolling basis--this means first come, first serve. I can't stress this enough--no matter how good your app is, you put yourself at quite a disadvantage by applying in mid-October.

May is the way to go.
GL

Thank you for your input @jhmmd and I agree with you regarding timing. By not having a strong preference for MD or DO despite the historical issues, my chances with most MD programs are pretty limited anytime (and nearly non-existent this late in the cycle). I will apply DO and a few MDs after I contact the schools and that is why I started this thread (for list suggestions). I have had 'several' gap years and have a decent profile. I don't expect my E.C.s to change all that much considering current conditions (with the pandemic) and personal circumstances (with my family). The only major difference with waiting aside from applying early would be if I decide or need to retake the MCAT which would be a huge undertaking (and potentially risky). As a nontraditional student and with my current stats I think I might have an opportunity with a decent DO program this cycle and wanted to try MD anyways rather than wait one year

Thank you for your input @jhmmd and I agree with you regarding timing. By not having a strong preference for MD or DO despite the historical issues, my chances with most MD programs are pretty limited anytime (and nearly non-existent this late in the cycle). I will apply DO and a few MDs after I contact the schools and that is why I started this thread (for list suggestions). I have had 'several' gap years and have a decent profile. I don't expect my E.C.s to change all that much considering current conditions (with the pandemic) and personal circumstances (with my family). The only major difference with waiting aside from applying early would be if I decide or need to retake the MCAT which would be a huge undertaking (and potentially risky). As a nontraditional student and with my current stats I think I might have an opportunity with a decent DO program this cycle and wanted to try MD anyways rather than wait one year
Ok, just know that you are at an even more severe disadvantage if you have to re-apply

Re-applicants are rejected 3x more often than first-time applicants
Remember to apply broadly and cast a wide net
Remember that DO = MD
Let me know if you have any other questions :)

I'm going to second some of the above posts and say wait for next cycle. The last thing you want to do is be a reapplicant - put the best foot forward the first time. You only want to apply once - that being said, it is totally your choice. You're fine for all DO. It is my understanding from reading SDN that some schools save interview invites for the late stellar applicants. Unfortunately, that 505 is holding you back.

Thank you for your honest input @Kumorebi and I understand everyone's genuine concern with becoming a re-applicant. I definitely hope that it won't be the case but there is no way to tell at this point. I understand that 505 on the MCAT is not that great but I would retake it if I have time and need to. In that regards, I probably would have to quit my job, prepare for a few months, and hope for a miracle improvement (my practices ranged from 500-515 with an average of ~506/7 and I worry about a possible decline). I will apply DO for sure and perhaps see what other schools (primarily the ones @Goro graciously provided) communicate about the timeline.

@Joe Jewel , without looking at too much in your stats and application, I don't think applying to Tulane is a good idea, as you have yet to submit your primary and then your secondary. Tulane loves early applications (even with COVID this year). From monitoring the Tulane thread, it's taking them ON AVERAGE 2 months to review your application and most interview spots are already booked until March; meaning they will be really really really picky in who they invite for interviews. So, unless their mission really jives with you or you have a special connection to NOLA, I'd suggest you do not apply.

Mind you, I'm not one to rain on other people's parades and definitely do NOT want to do this here, as I respect your goals and ambitions. But I figured some friendly advice will be appropriate. At the same time, I'm also a 2020-21 cycle applicant, so I might be unqualified to give recommendations relative to more senior members who already posted in your thread. Just my .02. Best of luck!

Thank you @HouseJC for highlighting the situation with Tulane. I do not have a direct connection to NOLA but believe the school is very reputable. I will try to look at their website in order to get a better idea about their mission/fit, class profile, and general timeline. Thank you again for pointing that out.