jorjorswens

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I have seen threads about late applicants and their stories from previous years but I haven't seen one from this year. If you feel like you are a late applicant please feel free to share your stories on this form.

I Finished the majority of my secondaries early November but am still hopeful.
30 MCAT 3.8 cgpa 3.92 BCPM.

Reactions: CatLady123
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
complete last week in October and I've had one interview so far. 3.89 cGPA, 29 MCAT. i'ma skeered!

Dec 6, 2013
I have seen threads about late applicants and their stories from previous years but I haven't seen one from this year. If you feel like you are a late applicant please feel free to share your stories on this form.

I Finished the majority of my secondaries early November but am still hopeful.
30 MCAT 3.8 cgpa 3.92 BCPM.
No rejections no nothing
31MCAT 3.85gpa

Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thank you! :) I only applied to 4. I didn't qualify for FAP because of my mom's social security income (she's almost 70 and I would never ask her for money.....she doesn't have it to give). Also my sister is sick and I wouldn't want to move too far from her. I'm glad that my one interview was at my public state school, since it's my top choice. *fingers crossed*

Wonton Soup

II me plz?
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2013
South
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you! :) I only applied to 4. I didn't qualify for FAP because of my mom's social security income (she's almost 70 and I would never ask her for money.....she doesn't have it to give). Also my sister is sick and I wouldn't want to move too far from her. I'm glad that my one interview was at my public state school, since it's my top choice. *fingers crossed*
Ah, I see, applying to med schools is a lot of things but easy on the wallet is not one of them. I hope you get into your state school!

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Sorry that you guys are in this situation. October is really late for a committee letter (did you delay anything to them? or was it all on them?). As for the job, it is what it is but why not wait another year?

OP
jorjorswens

jorjorswens

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Sorry that you guys are in this situation. October is really late for a committee letter (did you delay anything to them? or was it all on them?). As for the job, it is what it is but why not wait another year?
I am late because I was ill-informed about the application cycle and the disadvantage to applying late. I didn't really check on SDN forms and my pre-med advisor didn't really point out that even great applicants are passed over later on in the cycle.

Reactions: Zelda840
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
For me, this is the first year my school has had a pre-med committee and I think they are still getting the wrinkles worked out of their process. I don't think it will be a huge disadvantage at my state school since a good chunk of the people they accept come from my undergrad so we're all kind of on a level playing field as far as the committee goes, but I do feel bad for people who spent the time, energy, and money to apply all over the country, only to be delayed for months on end for a committee letter.

literallybased

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am late because I was ill-informed about the application cycle and the disadvantage to applying late. I didn't really check on SDN forms and my pre-med advisor didn't really point out that even great applicants are passed over later on in the cycle.
This, plus it took ages for my school to send my transcript.

Reactions: jorjorswens

Wonton Soup

II me plz?
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2013
South
Status
Pre-Medical
This, plus it took ages for my school to send my transcript.
Ugh, this is why I'm glad I went to a school with a sizable pre-med population (read: a sizable amount of people who continuously pester the pre-health advising office to send the letters :D) Quite unfortunate you guys had to put up with this mess.

Dec 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I was complete at most of my school between late August to mid-October, but wasn't complete at my top choice until mid-November because of residency verification issues. Been small-pooled at a couple of places but so far no II's. Well, good news is worth the wait so here's hoping...!

Jennyfishy

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2013
WI
Status
Medical Student
Good luck errbuddy :D! :luck::luck::luck:

I have stories of friends who had surprisingly successful cycles (some with very strong apps, a couple with stats like my own) despite applying late, but they were accepted last year.

Oct 10, 2013
Surrounded by cornfields
Status
Medical Student
Late App Success Story

I am applying this cycle. I was not verified until mid October, and I thought the late app would eliminate my chances of attending any school aside from my state school. But a few days ago, I got an interview invite from Harvard! I couldn't believe it. I was shaking.
(lizzyM 72<75)
Keep the faith! It could happen.

java64

5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I was complete from late September to mid-November. I've been lucky enough to have had IIs but i really hope i won't be "interviewing for the waitlist" as some describe, since they are mostly in january and february. I've already had it up to here with the waiting and the cycle is only half over!

literallybased

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Late App Success Story

I am applying this cycle. I was not verified until mid October, and I thought the late app would eliminate my chances of attending any school aside from my state school. But a few days ago, I got an interview invite from Harvard! I couldn't believe it. I was shaking.
(lizzyM 72<75)
Keep the faith! It could happen.
Did you get a secondary from Harvard before being verified? That happened to me at Columbia and it might improve my chances there. Also congrats and good luck!

milski

1K member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2009
Where the rain grows
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you get a secondary from Harvard before being verified? That happened to me at Columbia and it might improve my chances there. Also congrats and good luck!
Columbia does not wait for verification, they send secondaries to everyone at the time of primary submission.

QuiteAConundrum

5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2011
Philly
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Complete late october/early-mid november. 31/3.85. No II's but no rejections either.

The more I read the more I feel like SDN hypes up the whole late app thing...I will commence freaking the F out once February rolls around with no word!

Keep the faith people!!! :xf:

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Complete late october/early-mid november. 31/3.85. No II's but no rejections either.

The more I read the more I feel like SDN hypes up the whole late app thing...I will commence freaking the F out once February rolls around with no word!

Not to freak you out, but most schools are rolling. For candidates on the cusp, it's much easier to extend the acceptance when there are 150 spots left vs. when there are 15 spots left. Fact.

But for your mental sanity, delay freaking out as you originally planned.

QuiteAConundrum

5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2011
Philly
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Not to freak you out, but most schools are rolling. For candidates on the cusp, it's much easier to extend the acceptance when there are 150 spots left vs. when there are 15 spots left. Fact.

But for your mental sanity, delay freaking out as you originally planned.
You sound like a broken record, man. I know how it works. Nothing I can do about it now, had to wait to get enough money to apply. Congrats on your acceptance.

I'm going to be a doctor. Fact. And with any luck I'll be fortunate enough to start this summer.

solitarius

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
You sound like a broken record, man. I know how it works. Nothing I can do about it now, had to wait to get enough money to apply. Congrats on your acceptance.

I'm going to be a doctor. Fact. And with any luck I'll be fortunate enough to start this summer.
Sorry, didn't mean to rub you the wrong way.

Dec 6, 2013

Exactly the same as me
Same stats
No rejections

Reactions: QuiteAConundrum

OllopaMed

M.D. Class of 2018
Dec 26, 2013
space and time.
Status
Pre-Medical
Applying late does have its disadvantages, but at the same time if you apply they will look at your application if it's competitive. The whole ordeal is undoubtedly high on stress and the gunners do not make that any easier as they make unsubstantiated claims about the medical school application process. Getting into medical school is competitive, but at the end of the day it only takes one school to accept you for you to be a doctor.

Further, don't let where you go to school dictate your sense of self-worth. It's largely an illusion and a lot of it seems to be dictated by luck, who you know that knows someone else and the wealth of your family rather than you as an applicant. Places like Yale love to accept people who they know will make large contributions to the school later on in their lives. Don't think that $$ are not on the minds of people who sit on the admissions committee. Yes, they set aside 20% of their entering class to URMs, but once that is filled I don't think they feel bad anymore about their elitism. I would challenge you to seriously look at a class at Yale, Penn, or UChicago that is not predominately Caucasian/Asian and from the upper or upper-middle classes.

You can get to competitive residencies from schools that are not Ivy-League. I've seen medical students do it from my state school, from a mid-tier private school in the city I live in and know it happens across the country.

Fact: If you are good at what you do, people will notice.

That said, sociology plays as active a role in medical school admissions as it does in medicine itself.

Chugoku

late application survivor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
MY PEOPLE!!!

MD/PhD applicant. Applied late because I was being a perfectionist about my essays and I took the MCAT at the end of August. Primary app verified 10/15, secondaries turned in throughout October (several turned in after the deadline). 5 MSTP invites, 1 MD/PhD invite, 2 MD invites. 1 acceptance. Lots of juggling interviews and rescheduling. And I'm interviewing through February. While applying late worked out in my case, the MD/PhD applicant pool is smaller than the MD pool. I can sleep easy now but life was hell the first weeks of October. And all of September. And August.

wades

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Florida
Status
Non-Student
I think I definitely take the cake with latest app submitted; primary app submitted first week in November. I know its unheard of, but thats how my circumstances played out. Believe it or not thats not even the most shocking part, we'll see what happens and i'll post updates. Btw I know my choices this cycle were unorthodox and not recommended! For those of you waiting on a decision, hoping for good news on thursday!

Reactions: Sodocme
OP
jorjorswens

jorjorswens

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I hope that everyone is doing well and that we have all gotten at least one II this cycle. Good Luck yall

OP
jorjorswens

jorjorswens

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
MY PEOPLE!!!

MD/PhD applicant. Applied late because I was being a perfectionist about my essays and I took the MCAT at the end of August. Primary app verified 10/15, secondaries turned in throughout October (several turned in after the deadline). 5 MSTP invites, 1 MD/PhD invite, 2 MD invites. 1 acceptance. Lots of juggling interviews and rescheduling. And I'm interviewing through February. While applying late worked out in my case, the MD/PhD applicant pool is smaller than the MD pool. I can sleep easy now but life was hell the first weeks of October. And all of September. And August.
chugoku are you Chinese using Japanese "中国" as your name?

Reactions: Chugoku
Aug 31, 2013
Status
Posted in panic thread but figured I'd post here to keep the hope alive: just got my first and only II to UCSF/JMP, my top choice! Sent my secondary in on 12 Oct (was first secondary I sent in). Now just hoping I'll make it count!

chillaxbro

7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2012
Status
Pre-health Advisor
MY PEOPLE!!!

Is there a difference between MSTP and MD/PhD?

ryokii

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Late applicant here.

Verified mid October, secondaries from Nov to January (deadlines on mostly all of them). Low 30s MCAT. 3.7GPA. URM.

Applied to 25 schools, 22 secondaries, got 11 IIs. Attended 9. Just got my first acceptance last week to my dream/#1/
Reach school.

It ended up working out, but I honestly have to say that applying late is the worst thing to do. Do yourself a favor, because this is an extremely stressful and expensive process, apply early/ within the first month if possible.

Wish all of you well. Good luck.

OllopaMed

M.D. Class of 2018
Dec 26, 2013
space and time.
Status
Pre-Medical
Late applicant here.

Verified mid October, secondaries from Nov to January (deadlines on mostly all of them). Low 30s MCAT. 3.7GPA. URM.

Applied to 25 schools, 22 secondaries, got 11 IIs. Attended 9. Just got my first acceptance last week to my dream/#1/
Reach school.

It ended up working out, but I honestly have to say that applying late is the worst thing to do. Do yourself a favor, because this is an extremely stressful and expensive process, apply early/ within the first month if possible.

Wish all of you well. Good luck.
Your success is based on the fact you are an URM. For others with your stats it is a huge waste of time and money to apply late. If you aren't an URM and apply late, your chances of interviews, let alone acceptances, diminish on a logarithmic curve. You are better off taking a gap year and applying early if you are in this situation.

Jul 24, 2013
I was also verified in mid October, but I am not URM. You can see the outcome of my cycle on MDapps. I cannot complain because I was accepted to one of my top choices. However, I find it a bit odd to have a 3.8/37 and only receive 2 interviews out of 29 schools. It could be that my late application caused it, but who really knows?

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I was also verified in mid October, but I am not URM. You can see the outcome of my cycle on MDapps. I cannot complain because I was accepted to one of my top choices. However, I find it a bit odd to have a 3.8/37 and only receive 2 interviews out of 29 schools. It could be that my late application caused it, but who really knows?
Sadly, your "downfall" is due to the fact that you're coming from California.

Reactions: sourdoughllama
OP
jorjorswens

jorjorswens

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm in a similar boat to you! I don't care where I go to med school. :) Just let me in next year.

cGPA 3.79, sGPA 3.87, MCAT 30

Keladry

5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Secondaries completed in Oct-Dec, 3.99 GPA, 37 MCAT, 3 waitlists and 1 post-interview decision pending...keeping my fingers crossed! I know that I wouldn't be up for reapplying this upcoming cycle, so if need be I'll be taking 2 gap years... D:

Jul 7, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Secondaries complete late October. Check out my MDapps for more info. I am extremely happy and grateful for such a relatively successful cycle given my late status. Good luck to everyone!