Late Application Submitting, still OK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterMikeSC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So some background: I had a herniated disk for the second time in 13 months, starting in February, and was on a cane, a lot of painkillers, and going to classes all summer to attempt to graduate in August. I wasn't so lucky, as the disk kept getting worse and I ended up having to have surgery again in July, after having my last one in August of 2012.

With these setbacks, I was unaware of the actual magnitude of what I needed for Dental School. My first DAT was scheduled for 4 weeks after my surgery (preset, didn't want to pay to reschedule). I was relatively unprepared, and as such ended up with a 15 PAT (never got my timing down, I deserved it), 16 TS/18AA. I am retaking in December and plan on being much more prepared.

My cGPA is a little above 3.2, my sGPA is probably somewhere around that, maybe a bit higher.

I have finally finished my personal statement, am in the process of getting my 4th LOE, and have over 2000 hours of community service with a church and a youth camp and over 800 shadowing hours easily.

I understand that this is late as hell in the cycle, but I plan on finalizing/submitting my AADASAS application in the next week or two.

My question, in a sense after all of that, is will schools still be interested in reviewing such a late application and inviting me for interviews? I know a lot of schools are actually full, but I know the schools send out X amount of acceptances but only Y amount of people accept.

I just really need the cold, hard truth and it would be much appreciated. I have researched all the schools I have a legitimate chance at GPA/DAT score wise, which is around 20, so would it be worth it?

Worst comes to worst I want to get at least one interview so I can get the "first interview jitters" out of the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not looking good. Any one of these things - 18AA/16TS/15PAT, 3.2 o/s GPA, November application - might preclude you from an invite at many schools. All three? Your chances at this cycle are slim.

That said, I think with a bangin' DAT in December and an early application next cycle (20+ well-chosen schools), you'd have a totally reasonable shot for at least one interview.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So some background: I had a herniated disk for the second time in 13 months, starting in February, and was on a cane, a lot of painkillers, and going to classes all summer to attempt to graduate in August. I wasn't so lucky, as the disk kept getting worse and I ended up having to have surgery again in July, after having my last one in August of 2012.

With these setbacks, I was unaware of the actual magnitude of what I needed for Dental School. My first DAT was scheduled for 4 weeks after my surgery (preset, didn't want to pay to reschedule). I was relatively unprepared, and as such ended up with a 15 PAT (never got my timing down, I deserved it), 16 TS/18AA. I am retaking in December and plan on being much more prepared.

My cGPA is a little above 3.2, my sGPA is probably somewhere around that, maybe a bit higher.

I have finally finished my personal statement, am in the process of getting my 4th LOE, and have over 2000 hours of community service with a church and a youth camp and over 800 shadowing hours easily.

I understand that this is late as hell in the cycle, but I plan on finalizing/submitting my AADASAS application in the next week or two.

My question, in a sense after all of that, is will schools still be interested in reviewing such a late application and inviting me for interviews? I know a lot of schools are actually full, but I know the schools send out X amount of acceptances but only Y amount of people accept.

I just really need the cold, hard truth and it would be much appreciated. I have researched all the schools I have a legitimate chance at GPA/DAT score wise, which is around 20, so would it be worth it?

Worst comes to worst I want to get at least one interview so I can get the "first interview jitters" out of the way.

I feel really bad for you. I can identify with your unfortunate bad luck. However, I do think it is best to just take your time and get a really good DAT. Apply later. If you do badly on the DAT and rush it, you will find yourself in a terrible situation. Just wait it out.

Don't waste your money applying this cycle. Invest the $ in solid DAT prep material. Don't take the DAT again until you are consistently scoring 20+ in all sections on practice exams. Spend some time in the DAT forum researching materials.
Might as well look into options as far as post bac just just to have a plan B, but hopefully you can score high enough on DAT to offset the GPA (aim for 22?)

Yeah, a couple sections I just didn't have my timing down due to be incapacitated on a couch and having to take painkillers so what I thought I was learning/understanding I was just zonked unfortunately for 3 of the 6 weeks I was able to prepare.

I really appreciate the honest answers, and I see taking a year off if it comes to that, not as a bad thing, but as a way to earn even more interning/shadowing and hopefully have them hire me at some point.

But there's no realistic chance that I could actually matriculate in this cycle?

You seem to have a hard time taking advice, let alone facing reality. It looks like you should have spent more time studying and less time on shadowing and EC.

Raise DAT score significantly. Pref 22+ across the board.
Raise GPA (if you can).
800+ shadowing hours?! I think there's a limit past which the adcoms might actually look at it unfavorably... I mean what were you doing shadowing for more than 800 hours? More than a month's worth of just standing and observing? About 700+ of those hours would have been much better put to use at a local shelter volunteering, or studying for your DATs.............

good,Retake DAT and apply next cycle, not worth it at this point IMO.
ab

There are no schools you have a legitimate chance with. It takes a rare candidate to get in with bad stats, and one should never assume that they are such a candidate. Applying this cycle is a waste of time and money and you should work on improving your well below-average academics and DAT score.