late away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it "worth it" to do an away rotation in February? Rank order lists are not due till the 21st, but do most programs complete their ranks before this date?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it "worth it" to do an away rotation in February? Rank order lists are not due till the 21st, but do most programs complete their ranks before this date?

I'd think you would get very limited return. The chances of the program offering an interviewing when you have just begun in Feb. is slim. Many programs don't interview at all in Feb. So, you are now only worried about programs you actually have an interview at. If you've already interviewed there, do you think you need another month to impress? Unless this spot is just #1 on your list, I'd say save your money.

i'm actually planning to do an away rotation during feb of my ms4 year specifically because i want it to be a "vacation" elective. by that i mean it's gonna be in a speciality i don't want at a program i don't want. however it's going to be in a city where a buddy of mine lives so i can basically hang out with him for a month after work each day. the reason i'm doing it in feb is so that i don't take away a spot for someone who's really trying to match there. my point is that my expectation is that post-jan away rotations simply won't make any difference in terms of rank order lists.

IMHO, its not worth it if you are hoping to use the rotation to your advantage for the match. The ROL will most likely be drawn up within a couple of weeks of the program's last interview, or before mid-February.

If you have already interviewed there, you will likely have been somewhat ranked already and the 1 week or so of rotation you could possibly get in before the ROL was submitted, wouldn't likely change things for you.

If you just want to do your rotation to have fun, or to finalize YOUR ROL, then by all means, do so.

i'm actually planning to do an away rotation during feb of my ms4 year specifically because i want it to be a "vacation" elective. by that i mean it's gonna be in a speciality i don't want at a program i don't want. however it's going to be in a city where a buddy of mine lives so i can basically hang out with him for a month after work each day. the reason i'm doing it in feb is so that i don't take away a spot for someone who's really trying to match there. my point is that my expectation is that post-jan away rotations simply won't make any difference in terms of rank order lists.

That's right. By that time, you will have absolutely no motivation to get out of bed because you're hung over from the night before. Remember, these rotations can both help AND hurt you. You can only put on "that act" for so long anyways. First half of 4th year is very busy and trying to impress programs can be hard work. Give yourself some time to just kick back, have fun, maybe learn something and not worry about BS.

I would do exactly that. Either do something real cool that you may never ever do again. Or something that gives you a chance to enjoy the last days of being a student. But I wouldn't waste it trying to squeeze in a last impression before Rank List. Go live a life and be a normal human being.