late bloomer. no opt shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungwunn911

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

After speaking with my optometrist, I really began to like and really be interested in optometry. I was in the process of applying to med school, but now i think i want to apply to optometry school.

My GPA is 3.3 with a very sharp increase in grades starting junior year, when i declared my bio/premed major. I go to Rutgers University.

My resume is literally loaded with work, research, and volunteering. I worked almost full time while in school, and did research cause i was genuinely interested in autism and MS at UMDNJ.

2 problems though, no OATs yet, and no shadowing experience.

I want to stay close to home, so it seems like PA and NY are my top choices.

Could you guide me or tell me my options? I want to apply for fall 2008!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

all you need to do is: apply now, take the OAT asap (assuming u already prepped for the MCAT), do more optometry-related community service or internships, and have a good reason for the admissions committee of why you switched to optometry. g'luck : )

Hey guys.

After speaking with my optometrist, I really began to like and really be interested in optometry. I was in the process of applying to med school, but now i think i want to apply to optometry school.

My GPA is 3.3 with a very sharp increase in grades starting junior year, when i declared my bio/premed major. I go to Rutgers University.

My resume is literally loaded with work, research, and volunteering. I worked almost full time while in school, and did research cause i was genuinely interested in autism and MS at UMDNJ.

2 problems though, no OATs yet, and no shadowing experience.

I want to stay close to home, so it seems like PA and NY are my top choices.

Could you guide me or tell me my options? I want to apply for fall 2008!

Thanks!

If you want to go for Fall 2008, you definitely need to get some shadowing experience. You'll also need to get letters written for optometry school. You can submit your application without having your letters or OAT yet; the admissions committees will grant interviews without either test scores or letters granted the rest of your application is strong enough. If you're still going to school right now or otherwise feel overwhelmed, another option is to apply for the next admission cycle while taking this year to work on your application. It'll be much less stressful and your chances will be better. Plus, you'll get an extra year to save up or travel before 4 more years of school.