golgotha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Sooooo, I am just now signing up for the PE exam, and imagine my surprise to find that ALL the good test dates are gone. Long gone. The first date available to take the PE is in December of 2010. :scared:

I am going to develop an ulcer and then have a heart attack worrying about how this will affect my residency applications. The big #1 residency i am gunning for holds interviews from october to december. My question is, did I shoot myself in the foot for not signing up for an earlier PE date?

Do you think I will be able to interview without a PE score? I have an elective rotation at this program in July 2010. That will be my big audition.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
In my experience this year nobody cares if you have taken/passed or even scheduled the PE. Nobody will look at it or even mention it. It is assumed you will have passed it before you start residency and that's it.

Don't sweat it.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
In my experience this year nobody cares if you have taken/passed or even scheduled the PE. Nobody will look at it or even mention it. It is assumed you will have passed it before you start residency and that's it.

Don't sweat it.
Not necessarily true. I had several PD's ask if I had taken it and had I passed already. They said they would use it in their ranking process. This is NOT the case for most residencies, but it can be a factor.

However, dates continuously open up and change all year long. Just check back every few days and you will probably find an open date here or there. People's schedules change and they have to change test dates. It'll cost you 50 bucks, but I changed mine to an earlier date and was glad I did.

But, December is not late. I know a bunch of classmates who took it in January. 95% of people pass. It really is quite easy and you can mess up a bunch and still pass. I had a classmate who didn't fill out half the stuff you should put on the SOAP note and still passed.

Don't sweat it.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
I also had more than half the PDs ask if I'd taken and passed both my level 2 exams. Having a pass on both was met with huge grins and the comment of "that's a definite plus".

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Okay, fine, disregard my response. FWIW, I applied allopathic anesthesia, interviewed at 20 places, had zero questions about anything having to do with the PE (I did have plenty commenting on my Step 2 CK). Anecdotal.

Bottom line, if you're worried about it, I echo the above advice to check in on the dates and try to move your PE date up when it becomes available.

golgotha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Medical Student
That really puts my mind at ease. Who knows what the reality will be for me ultimately. I have no fears about passing it. My OMM is good, my soaps are fairly quick and my differentials are probably not the best but usually fairly accurate.
I just think it's stupid to have this required exam that extends past the normal residency interview dates. There are a lot of weird decisions made by the osteopathic profession, but I think this takes cake.

IMDoc607

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Sooooo, I am just now signing up for the PE exam, and imagine my surprise to find that ALL the good test dates are gone. Long gone. The first date available to take the PE is in December of 2010. :scared:

I am going to develop an ulcer and then have a heart attack worrying about how this will affect my residency applications. The big #1 residency i am gunning for holds interviews from october to december. My question is, did I shoot myself in the foot for not signing up for an earlier PE date?

Do you think I will be able to interview without a PE score? I have an elective rotation at this program in July 2010. That will be my big audition.
You're fine. I interviewed at 13 MD IM programs....not one asked or cared about the PE.

SukaNeNauka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student

I interviewed at 18 allopathic anesthesia programs with no PE and no CE exams. Just took step 2 on March 30th, already matched. One PD told me that he would really like to see step 2 scores before ranking, that program was not ranked by me.