Late course drop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muscles00GT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the result of my 2nd physics test back today and was extremely shocked. I thought I did well on the exam, but I did absolutely horrible. I was doing well in the class before this exam and had a B+ in the class and this exam has brought me down to a C :mad:. I'm beyond frustrated with myself right now. I studied so much for the exam. I did some calculations and figured out I would need to get a 90 on the final just to bring it up to a B- I never late dropped a course before, but I'm thinking this may be my first. Any advice/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

do you have an other c's on your transcript? sometimes, retaking a course does not guarantee a much better grade, and it can be exhausting as well. also, if this is your only c, you can make up for it with great grades later. my advice is to stick with it and there's always that last hope that u'll ace the final :)

do you have an other c's on your transcript? sometimes, retaking a course does not guarantee a much better grade, and it can be exhausting as well. also, if this is your only c, you can make up for it with great grades later. my advice is to stick with it and there's always that last hope that u'll ace the final :)

That's the problem. I got a C in Bio I, Gen. Chem I, and Physics I. My first couple semesters were absolutely dreadful. There was a lot going on with my family back home so I was often traveling back and forth and the whole year or so was a disaster. I know a C isn't that bad, but the fact that I got a C in those previous courses makes me feel as though I have no other choice but to drop it. I got an A- in Gen. Chem II and a B+ in Bio II, so I know I'm capable of getting better grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the problem. I got a C in Bio I, Gen. Chem I, and Physics I. My first couple semesters were absolutely dreadful. There was a lot going on with my family back home so I was often traveling back and forth and the whole year or so was a disaster. I know a C isn't that bad, but the fact that I got a C in those previous courses makes me feel as though I have no other choice but to drop it. I got an A- in Gen. Chem II and a B+ in Bio II, so I know I'm capable of getting better grades.

I'd be careful dropping so late. Med. schools are probably going to know something was going on when you dropped in the last month of class. I'd probably stick it out, but it's up to you.

I'd be careful dropping so late. Med. schools are probably going to know something was going on when you dropped in the last month of class. I'd probably stick it out, but it's up to you.

yeah, the last date for late drop is tomorrow. I know if I retake it in the Fall, I can get an A- or an A..at least that's what I think. I feel like absolute crap right now. Before the exam, I was in decent standing in the class and now I have a C and the thought of late dropping a class, specifically a prereq class, just makes me feel miserable.

Take the 'W' for the Win!! :laugh: I took a W for Orgo 2. Retook the class the following semester and ended up with a B+. I was never asked about it. I had a C+ in Chem 1 as well. One W won't look too bad, and it won't affect your GPA.

thanks for the advice. i'm meeting with my advisor tomorrow. I know she'll tell me not to late drop it, but she's not a pre-med advisor, so I think the right decision will be to drop it....man, this is so depressing:(

I don't think medical schools will see when you dropped the course, unless your school uses a special designation for that. They'll just see the "W", which is better than a C in GPA calculation. You might want to consider taking the course outside your college, since you seem to perform poorly at the level required of your sciences classes.

I don't think medical schools will see when you dropped the course, unless your school uses a special designation for that. They'll just see the "W", which is better than a C in GPA calculation. You might want to consider taking the course outside your college, since you seem to perform poorly at the level required of your sciences classes.

Thanks for the advice. The first couple semesters, when I got the C's in Gen Chem I, Bio I and Physics I was when I was having family issues and missed quite a few classes and my mind wasn't focused on school. Now I'm performing better for the most part. I got an A- in Gen. Chem II and a B+ in Bio II (physiology). My overall GPA the first couple semesters was horrible (around 2.6), but this semester I'm looking at a 3.6-3.7. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me.

hey,

presumably if you're in this forum you're thinking about applying DO.

it turns outs that if you re-take a class AACOMAS calculates your GPA based on the second grade (wish I had known this before two days ago), and not the average of the two grades. if you go to penn state, re-take the classes you did at one of the cake branch campuses over the summer...but if you already go to a branch campus then, well...good luck.

also note that amcas doesn't does take the average of the two scores.