Late Cs, the Match and Immigration Issues...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kazuo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG. I've already passed step1 and step 2 ck. I have taken the CS on January 11Th. I looked on the ECFMG website. It says that I should receive the score by the end of march.
1)Am I going to be able to rank the Programs on February? I mean, I don't have the ECFMG certificate yet.
2)Am I going to be able to participate in the scramble?
3)If I can rank the program and suppose that I matched, does somebody know if I will be able to have an H1 visa. I think that I am not going to be ready to take the step 3 before the end of April.
4) And the last question: If I can rank the programs and I matched, and I haven't taken the step 3 am I going to have to take a J1 visa?

Thank you very much for all your help.:):):):):)

Members don't see this ad.

I am an IMG. I've already passed step1 and step 2 ck. I have taken the CS on January 11Th. I looked on the ECFMG website. It says that I should receive the score by the end of march.
1)Am I going to be able to rank the Programs on February? I mean, I don't have the ECFMG certificate yet.
2)Am I going to be able to participate in the scramble?
3)If I can rank the program and suppose that I matched, does somebody know if I will be able to have an H1 visa. I think that I am not going to be ready to take the step 3 before the end of April.
4) And the last question: If I can rank the programs and I matched, and I haven't taken the step 3 am I going to have to take a J1 visa?

Thank you very much for all your help.:):):):):)

1)You can rank any program you like, but you will be withdrawn by Feb.21 because no ECFMG. If you rank or don’t rank the same result (Do not believe those who say you have to rank any program to participate in scramble)
2)You will be able to participate in scramble with access to unfilled position with or without certified rank list. You have 30 programs you can apply for free through ERAS and unlimited number by fax, email, phone call, go physically....
3)You will not match because you will be withdrawn and automatically will be taken off any program list. You cannot apply for step3 without ECFMG certificate (actually you need the date of issuance to include it in the application). It takes minimum 2 weeks to receive your permit from the fastest state board and schedule the exam after that, usually no many vacant places at Prometric centers, for sure depending on the center and availability because you need 2 consecutive days occupying the whole slot. Without step3 no H1B visa without exception.
4)The answer of that question is above, the J1 is almost the only option without step3