Late Deposit: what will happen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I sent my deposit to the registrar's office nearly two months ago, and I e-mailed them about a month ago to ensure that they did indeed receive my deposit, and they replied that they did indeed have it.

So, today, I received an email telling me that I missed the deadline to send in my deposit and that I will be withdrawn. I immediately send a check and call up the admissions office to plead my case, and the woman goes in to check with the registrar. Unfortunately, the registrar was not there, so I have to wait until tomorrow to know exactly what my fate is. This leaves me with basically twenty-four hours of worrying, and I wanted at least some people familiar with the process to potentially alleviate my fears. Worst case scenario: if they do not have my check and the registrar no longer has the email that clearly stated that she did indeed have it(I already forwarded it to the student admissions office like the lady said I should, but I am not entirely sure that they would believe them), what are the chances of me losing my seat to someone who has been waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I sent my deposit to the registrar's office nearly two months ago, and I e-mailed them about a month ago to ensure that they did indeed receive my deposit, and they replied that they did indeed have it.

So, today, I received an email telling me that I missed the deadline to send in my deposit and that I will be withdrawn. I immediately send a check and call up the admissions office to plead my case, and the woman goes in to check with the registrar. Unfortunately, the registrar was not there, so I have to wait until tomorrow to know exactly what my fate is. This leaves me with basically twenty-four hours of worrying, and I wanted at least some people familiar with the process to potentially alleviate my fears. Worst case scenario: if they do not have my check and the registrar no longer has the email that clearly stated that she did indeed have it(I already forwarded it to the student admissions office like the lady said I should, but I am not entirely sure that they would believe them), what are the chances of me losing my seat to someone who has been waitlisted?

I think it's really unlikely that you'll lose your seat. It's still mid-May, and you do have an email acknowledging that they received your check. They have no incentive to give up your seat without making sure that it isn't a mistake. Don't worry

Members don't see this ad :)
it will be okay, trust me. they won't pull anyone off the waitlist until they get you in.

If you have receipt of payment (the email) then Id imagine you should be okay.

It's not so much a receipt as it is basically an email asking "did you get the packet containing my paperwork and deposit?" In which they said, "Yes. We have it." I am afraid they may have just been referring to the paperwork and overlooked the word "deposit" in the e-mail and the actual deposit in the large envelope. It was never actually deposited. The worst part is the fact that the check hadn't been deposited as the deadline was approaching was sending up red flags in my head, but since they had already said that they had it, I didn't want to be "that guy" who kept emailing them.

I feel like it would be unethical for them to give up my spot when they actually said--intentionally or unintentionally--that they had my check, but the e-mail detailing the missed deadline was so blunt that I am just a little bit afraid. I'll actually include the email below.

"Earlier this year we were pleased to offer you a place in this year’s entering class. We felt then and now that you are the type of person who is well prepared to benefit from the many advantages found at the School of Medicine in Shreveport. However, the deadline for receiving your deposit Monday, May 16, 2011, has passed and we are submitting a “Withdrawn” action to AMCAS.
While I sincerely hoped that you would join our class, it is probably safe to assume that you have accepted an offer of admission at another school, in which case congratulations are in order."

Thank you guys for your support. I am worrying less and less.

I hope it works out for you. Either way, lesson learned. Sometimes you need to be "that guy" and follow up on things. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but if it were me I probably would have called around the beginning if May to find out why my check hadn't been deposited yet..