Late DO-applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BCLumas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured that with all of the post-holiday rejection letters going out that many people would be.. flocking to the Pre-Osteo boards for advice if their stats are acceptable or not. I figure this would be a good place for everyone to post their stats to have them looked at by everyone for advice. There are some questions that need not be asked, however, and I will address them.

Q: Do I NEED to have a LoR from a DO, or will an MD letter suffice?
A: Not necessarily. Letters from DO physicians are required for LECOM-Erie, LECOM-Bradenton, LMUCOM, Pikeville, VCOM, and WVSOM. The others schools strongly encourage a DO letter, but it is not necessary if you have an MD letter to supplement it.
(Thanks to megboo for her help in fixing this section)

Q: Is it impossible for me to get accepted this late?
A: Absolutely not. Schools designate deadlines for a reason. The problem is, however, that schools begin accepting students in early September, so those interviewing in March will all be competing for those last one or two slots. That means that your stats will have to be pretty good in order to compete with everyone else interviewing at that time.

Q: How do I go about finding a DO to shadow on such short notice?
A: I would first recommend searching through the AOA website for a list of Osteopathic physicians in your area. The following website can be used to search for physicians of all specialties in your area: http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm
(Thanks to megboo for her help in fixing this section)

Q: What are the best DO schools?
A: That is a matter of opinion, as each school has its positives and negatives. As most people can agree, the school system that offers the most opportunities would be PCOM, but there are others.

Q: Where can I go to learn more about Osteopathic medicine?
A: I would check out the AOA's website at www.osteopathic.org/. There you will find out more about what Osteopathic medicine really is and see if it is right for you.

Q: Where do I apply for Osteopathic school?
A: You can apply for all of the schools except for TCOM at www.aacomas.aacom.org./. For TCOM, check out http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/ for more information.

Q: Should I even try to apply?
A: That is entirely up to you. You can post your stats here in the format of:

cGPA:
SciGPA:
MCAT:
EC:
Shadowed DO:
Other:

.. and we can give you our advice. Remember that the application is up to you.

I wish you all the best of luck in this upcoming application cycle! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I strongly agree.

DO letters are required for both LECOMs, LMU, Pikeville, VCOM, and WVSOM. The rest strongly encourage a DO letter, but it's not necessary if you have an MD letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO letters are required for both LECOMs, LMU, Pikeville, EVMS, and WVSOM. The rest strongly encourage a DO letter, but it's not necessary if you have an MD letter.

Wait, why would EVMS require one? :confused:

EVMS is also VCOM (edward via) and they say on their website that a DO letter is required.

Oh okay, I didn't know that. Doesn't EVMS also have an allopathic med school though or am I just really really confused?

EVMS = Eastern Virginia Medical School as well. I interviewed there, and that is a weird place.

Oh okay, I didn't know that. Doesn't EVMS also have an allopathic med school though or am I just really really confused?

yeah - I think I meant to type Edward Via VCOM but I was playing kingdom of loathing at the same time.

at any rate those are the schools that require DO letters. I'll change my original post.

EVMS = Eastern Virginia Medical School as well. I interviewed there, and that is a weird place.

Okay that must be the school I was thinking of. How exactly was it a weird place?

Q: Do I NEED to have a LoR from a DO, or will an MD letter suffice?
A: For the majority of schools, yes, a DO letter is necessary. Although both practices are doctors, Osteopathic schools generally want to see that you understand what Osteopathic medicine really is and that they are not a "back-up school" for those who could not get into Allopathic programs.

DO letters are required for both LECOMs, LMU, Pikeville, VCOM, and WVSOM. The rest strongly encourage a DO letter, but it's not necessary if you have an MD letter.

Agreed with the latter. I feel if you have a DO letter, great, but if not an MD letter can suffice. What's infinitely more important is the shadowing a DO category. If you're able to talk about shadowing experience with a DO and how it contributed towards pursuing an osteopathic degree, I feel that compensates plenty for having a letter from an MD you might know better. Feel free to disagree though.

yeah I would be interested in what was weird about it as well, I was thinking of applying for their med masters program if I don't get in this year

Alright. I fixed the section about the DO letter. Thank you to megboo for your help and research! I used your words almost verbatim. If you mind, I will retype it and summarize it better. I think you said it perfectly, however, so I saw no need to change it.

Thanks again! ^.^

EDIT: Does anyone have the actual website that gives a list of all of the DOs across the country? If someone can post it, I will add it to the main post. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the best general search for a DO but not all are registered.

Lemme see if I can find something better in all my bookmarks.

My physician is a DO and he's listed at the AMA

AHA! That was what I was looking for. I guess I just suck at using search engines. Thanks and props once again go to megboo!

yeah I would be interested in what was weird about it as well, I was thinking of applying for their med masters program if I don't get in this year

Waste no time with the SMPs! Intead, focus on improving your MCAT score. The feedback I received from a number of admissions deans emphasized that the SMPs are not viewed near as favorably as a good - or a least improved, MCAT score. In fact, the deans I spoke with told me to skip the SMP or certificate programs all together. If you need the coursework, take advanced masters classes a la carte. As a matter of fact, this is what I did on the advice of the deans and with additional time, I moved my MCAT score above 30 to offset a mediocre cumulative GPA. I wouldn't waste valuable time on the SMP if your MCAT can stand to be improved.

Waste no time with the SMPs! Intead, focus on improving your MCAT score. The feedback I received from a number of admissions deans emphasized that the SMPs are not viewed near as favorably as a good - or a least improved, MCAT score. In fact, the deans I spoke with told me to skip the SMP or certificate programs all together. If you need the coursework, take advanced masters classes a la carte. As a matter of fact, this is what I did on the advice of the deans and with additional time, I moved my MCAT score above 30 to offset a mediocre cumulative GPA. I wouldn't waste valuable time on the SMP if your MCAT can stand to be improved.

ha, ha, I have no mcat score to improve yet. Hopefully that 45 I"m planning on getting in Jan will be good enough, if not I'll be forced to follow your advice :)

ha, ha, I have no mcat score to improve yet. Hopefully that 45 I"m planning on getting in Jan will be good enough, if not I'll be forced to follow your advice :)

45? I would shoot for atleast a 50.

Even with acceptances, it does suck to get rejected.

BUT, it's pretty lame to make a thread about it when you do have an acceptance and there are lots of regulars who post who are still just waiting for interviews, let alone acceptances.

I don't know that the OP was intentionally being mean, but it was very uncouth to post.

Even with acceptances, it does suck to get rejected.

BUT, it's pretty lame to make a thread about it when you do have an acceptance and there are lots of regulars who post who are still just waiting for interviews, let alone acceptances.

I don't know that the OP was intentionally being mean, but it was very uncouth to post.

You cross-threaded that one...
The vino flowing?

hey guys my AACOMAS app was mailed on 12/27. When should I start to receive secondaries? Do they come by mail or email or ?

Thanks!

hey guys my AACOMAS app was mailed on 12/27. When should I start to receive secondaries? Do they come by mail or email or ?

Thanks!

First you have to get verified by AACOMAS. It's all online now so I'm not so sure you should be mailing anything to them, but I've been wrong once or twice before.

Once you are verified (takes 4-6 weeks, sometimes less, sometimes more) then the schools you indicated will e-mail you secondaries. A few will send them snail-mail (e.g. Pikeville). That's if their deadline hasn't already passed. Since you're applying late, keep an eye on deadlines.

Here's a list of the deadlines, and remember, these are for SECONDARIES:

Oct. 1: TCOM
Jan. 1: CCOM, AZCOM
Jan. 15: NSU-COM
Feb. 1: KCOM, KCOM-SOMA, NYCOM, OSU-COM, OU-COM, PCOM, PCOM-GA, Pikeville, UMDNJ-SOM, UNECOM, VCOM, COMP
Feb. 14: KCUMB
Feb. 15: LMU, WVSOM
April 1: LECOM, LECOM-B, Touro-NY, Touro-CA, Touro-NV

Thanks!

If you mean that the "mailed" date on AACOMAS says 12/27, then you should hear soon. Like megboo said, they actually submit it electronicly to most schools. I heard back within a few days via email, though some took several weeks, and I think that I got one via snail mail.

Good luck!

First you have to get verified by AACOMAS. It's all online now so I'm not so sure you should be mailing anything to them, but I've been wrong once or twice before.

Once you are verified (takes 4-6 weeks, sometimes less, sometimes more) then the schools you indicated will e-mail you secondaries. A few will send them snail-mail (e.g. Pikeville). That's if their deadline hasn't already passed. Since you're applying late, keep an eye on deadlines.

Feb. 1: KCOM, KCOM-SOMA, NYCOM, OSU-COM, OU-COM, PCOM, PCOM-GA, Pikeville, UMDNJ-SOM, UNECOM, VCOM, COMP

So, do you need to be complete by those dates? My final LOR was just mailed out yesterday I guess. I really want CCOM!

So, do you need to be complete by those dates? My final LOR was just mailed out yesterday I guess. I really want CCOM!

Yeah, I think you do. But only the adcoms can truly answer that for you :oops:

However, if CCOM receives a letter on 12/31 and doesn't file it til after the New Year, I think you'd be safe.

I would call CCOM on Monday and double check though (if they're open).

Nevermind... I just got this from CCOM's interact now

The initial application deadline date to apply to AACOMAS is January 1. The secondary application along with all other required application materials must be submitted to the office of admissions by the close of business on March 1. Please visit the university website at www.midwestern.edu/azcom for specific application deadline information.

Good luck to all the late posters. I'm one of ya. Let's hope we dazzle 'em with our applications, letters and interviews. Sending out good karma so I can get some back as I have four weeks of studying to go before the January 26 MCAT. I'm living with Nernst and Bernoulli and they're proving to be boring roommates!!!
Just sitting around studying like :spam: in a can.
Back to more :bullcrap:
Take care, smile and send back good vibes/karma/tips. As my Canadian friends say, good on all of you!!!!!
Sherruns

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, my application has already been verified/processed and was mailed BY AACOMAS to the schools on 12/27. Guess I should be hearing back soon. Do you think the admission offices are closed the entire week for new years or just on New Years day?

Thanks!

I just thought I'd add that a lot of schools have their secondaries posted online, so if you're feeling ambitious, you can fill them out before they send them to you and get them out a little faster that way. Good luck!

being a late applicant is whack...not appreciating this. playing madden is way more fun.

being a late applicant is whack...not appreciating this. playing madden is way more fun.

?? Then why don't you go play Madden instead of trolling in a late-applicant thread? kthxbai

I think Cabbage got a little bit of an early start on new years celebration.

Just heard from Pacific NW UHSCOM that my file is complete and they'll be calling for an interview within a couple of weeks. They give me a complete file with NO MCAT SCORE YET!?? wtf? Do they love me that much?

:confused::confused::confused::confused: any ideas why?

Just heard from Pacific NW UHSCOM that my file is complete and they'll be calling for an interview within a couple of weeks. They give me a complete file with NO MCAT SCORE YET!?? wtf? Do they love me that much?

:confused::confused::confused::confused: any ideas why?

I think they are sort of desperate, I mean it's Yakima, they told me the same thing.

wow, i just checked the supplementary app fee...$175! i was thinking about applying and apparently it looks like they aren't getting much interest. then again, i could be totally wrong. u guys know how many apps they are expecting and the size of their first class?

?? Then why don't you go play Madden instead of trolling in a late-applicant thread? kthxbai

i didn't even know what trolling was until i googled it. is someone pissed that PSU didn't make a real bowl this year? hahahahaha

to LauraDO:
I would love to get in and hope we both get interviews!
Good luck on studying. How's it going for ya?
s.

to LauraDO:
I would love to get in and hope we both get interviews!
Good luck on studying. How's it going for ya?
s.

I hope we both get in somewhere!

Studying is studying, I'm a bit burned out and I suck at PS stuff, you?

I'm going through the 1001 EK ?'s and I'm also burned out on it. I'm also on call so I'm coming off a busy weekend and still on call. Sux! I was just planning out the next three weeks of studying (30 online CBT's, countless Kap tests, BOHRING!!!) and if I don't know it by test day I'm going to throw it all out the window. Stacks of stuff laying on every available table and desk! I'm super tired of optics and acid-base chemistry, not to mention IR Spectroscopy. Brain severely addled at this point! need a stiff drink!

I sent you good karma on your mdapps. Good luck!
sherruns

Here's my new signature. One of my favorite quotes. Have a good night!
sherruns

Here's my new signature. One of my favorite quotes. Have a good night!
sherruns

This is a fabuloso quote!

I am just praying to the MCAT gods to shower me with the correct answers and bless me with the amazing super powers on Jan 25!

more powerful than a nucleophile
faster than a Sn2 reaction
smarter than a boring passage on feminist literature (which there seems to be at least one of on every verbal section)

MCATwoman- scoring 50 in a town near you

haha!!! I'll bet we are in a total minority of people in the nation trying to get in to a school for 2008. You know, the MD applicants are already sending out requests for LOR's for the 2009 cycle. I'd rather get my first year going instead of wait another year. No moss growin' under my butt!

Off to the books. I'm in agreement about the strange verbal passages. What I'm doing right now is hanging with Mendel and his purple and white crosses. Lots of genetics expected. Just gonna try to never, ever think about Arrhenius before I go to sleep again. Wanna get off the Bronsted Lowry train, thank you!! HAPPY NEW YEAR AND GOOD NIGHT TO ALL! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!