Late in the Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DecadoSlade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am applying to optometry schools and I was wondering if I am applying late in the cycle. I wanted to send in my application a month after my OAT, which means I should have sent it through at the end of September. However, I had trouble finding an optometrist to shadow so it looks like the application will be sent at the end of November. What do you guys think? I mean, this is pretty late. Does all hope seem lost?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying around that time too! It also depends on your stats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it's going to depend a lot on your stats. If you have a solid gpa and oat you are in good shape. If you are on the lower side you might have some problems getting an interview. The competition is going to be getting a lot tougher now that a lot of students are applying. I don't think you are out of luck but get a move on it!

I don't think you are LATE in the cycle. I think that you should still definitely go for it now if you are confident with the rest of your application. I think that LATE is after December.

Well it's going to depend a lot on your stats. If you have a solid gpa and oat you are in good shape. If you are on the lower side you might have some problems getting an interview. The competition is going to be getting a lot tougher now that a lot of students are applying. I don't think you are out of luck but get a move on it!

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I just have to get a recommendation letter from an optometrist, which I believe should take me till December. That's the only thing holding me back.

I don't think you are LATE in the cycle. I think that you should still definitely go for it now if you are confident with the rest of your application. I think that LATE is after December.
Good to know. Thanks for the advice!

How many spots have been released at this point in time? Are you guys aware? I'm just submitted now as well and am very nervous about being so late in the cycle. Especially with these long verification time periods that are required by OPTOMCAS

How many spots have been released at this point in time? Are you guys aware? I'm just submitted now as well and am very nervous about being so late in the cycle. Especially with these long verification time periods that are required by OPTOMCAS

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I asked an admissions rep for myself and they said mid-november isn't late but it depends on your stats!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
OAT TS:360 AA: 350
OPTOMCAS GPA Overall Science: 3.75 Total: 3.70

I also have 50+ hours working in two different optometry clinics as well as a lot of extracurricular activities aimed at aiding marginalized groups and a variety of outreach work.

What do you think? Should I be stressed? Ive now applied to 9 schools: SUNY, Berkeley, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Mid- Western, UH, Salus, and NECO

Sort of freaking out about this

Last edited:
OAT TS:360 AA: 350
OPTOMCAS GPA Overall Science: 3.75 Total: 3.70

I also have 50+ hours working in two different optometry clinics as well as a lot of extracurricular activities aimed at aiding marginalized groups and a variety of outreach work.

What do you think? Should I be stressed? Ive now applied to 9 schools: SUNY, Berkeley, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Mid- Western, UH, Salus, and NECO

Sort of freaking out about this

Your stats are amazing!!! You definitely got this, don't worry!

I would imagine most schools still have more than half of their class open but I would ask the specific school. I don't think it's late in the cycle but this is the time to apply if you haven't as I'm sure competitition is getting harder.