late interest in derm- is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rina33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I've shown no interest in derm thus far, but have started to think about it in my 4th year, do I have a chance of matching in California (family doesn't want to move out of state) if I take a year off and do some research after graduation? I go to a good school, did well on boards (high 240s) and honored in everything in 3rd year but psych. I've shown strong interest in other fields (research, leadership, etc.) but just haven't had any exposure to derm until now. Would derm residencies frown upon this late "switch"? What does everyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

rina33 said:
If I've shown no interest in derm thus far, but have started to think about it in my 4th year, do I have a chance of matching in California (family doesn't want to move out of state) if I take a year off and do some research after graduation? I go to a good school, did well on boards (high 240s) and honored in everything in 3rd year but psych. I've shown strong interest in other fields (research, leadership, etc.) but just haven't had any exposure to derm until now. Would derm residencies frown upon this late "switch"? What does everyone think?

how'd you do first and second year?

goodies said:
how'd you do first and second year?
1st and 2nd year is pass/fail. So only boards to judge by, really. I did tons of extra-curricular activities but non derm-related. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
The numbers are there, but for derm it's usually that plus who you get letters from, publications, etc., etc... Give it a shot, and if it's what you really want, do a research fellowship after PGY1 if you don't get in first go.

Regardless of whether you have the grades or not, your chances of staying in LA are slim. For starters, there are so few spots. UCLA has on average anywhere from 5-9 (this coming year) students going for derm, many of which have done extensive research with Modlin/Kim or elsewhere. UCLA generally has two spots reserved for their clinical program, and two for STAR (research oriented --> meant for post doc work for md/phds). Sometimes they take three clinical (like this year). USC is extremely inbred and usually give two of their three spots to their own. If you are at USC, you definitely have a better chance, but they too have many going into derm (last year there were nine students going for derm) as well as students form other med schools doing year long clinical research projects. UCI generally reserves one of their spots for one of their fellows (2 yr fellowship s/p pgy-1). That's about it for LA (dont even mention Martin Luther King). I guess the main message here is that these programs generally take applicants they not only know, but who have proven themselves through research or extensive clinical rotations. Seeing that your interest is somewhat new, i am guessing you have not done any significant derm research, let alone introduce yourslef to the key people (modlin, kim, woodley, etc) I am not saying you have no chance in derm, just not in your ideal locale. You have to be realistic with your goals

dontbeagunner, what about UCSD, UCSF, and Davis?

who are the key people to know at UCI?