letsgomedical

7+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I received interview invitation only about two days ago from a place I auditioned, and they offered only three dates for available interview openings.
Maybe I am over-interpreting this, but I am concerned that they had some cancellations from people they invited early on, and that's why I am invited.
I liked the program so I was going to rank them high, but if this is how match game is played, obviously they are not going to rank me high....thus I should not rank them high in order to match....
Should I be concerned?

Anonymous
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2013
Status
You rank a program based on where YOU want to go. How you rank a program has zero bearing on how they will rank you. A late interview could mean many different things, or nothing at all.

MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
still on the right side of the dirt
Status
Attending Physician
You are playing this completely wrong. Stop reading into their behavior and just decide how much you like this program. If they didn’t want you, they wouldn’t interview you. If they don’t like you enough to match you, having them high on your list will not improve or diminish your chances of matching at other programs. Just put your list down in order of your preferences and let the match do the rest. There is no way to “play” the system in any way that will improve your match. You can only screw it up with second guessing motives and changing the order of your preferences. Lowering a program’s rank based on your impression of what their impression of you is, sounds unsound because it is.

Reactions: OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
Look, there are a LOT of programs still trying to get through a flood of applicants. If you want to interview there, go--interview. If you don't like the program, then decline the interview so someone else can use the slot. We won't tell.

:bang:

OP
L

letsgomedical

7+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I guess I was looking too much into this... I should not bother with when they send out invites. I like the program so I will rank it high regardless....

Reactions: OldPsychDoc

MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2013
still on the right side of the dirt
Status
Attending Physician
I guess I was looking too much into this... I should not bother with when they send out invites. I like the program so I will rank it high regardless....
Now you got it. If everyone else just does this, we will stop getting those phone calls next year asking if we have any openings because “I don’t know why I put X program above yours, I really wanted your program. I just thought that you wouldn’t take me.” Best of luck. I have no idea if you will get it, but you should try if you want to.