late math pre-med, needs guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kivi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined SDN and looking for some answers.
I started pre-med my junior year, last year, and have finished Chemistry and Physics. I am taking Orgo this year and Biology after I graduate.

I am math major, how can I use this towards my advantage for med schools? Like what would I need to supplement a high GPA in math. I’m working on getting a letter of Recc from a math teacher but waiting till I find one that I like enough. Would math/physics research be beneficial in terms of applying to med school? Could that count as my research experience? Also I’m taking two math biology classes under the graduate Biology department, do these count for biology credits for med school?

Another thing is that I’m not completely certain I want to go into the field of medicine yet. I just finished a summer internship in an ED but I’m looking for more variety in a physician’s work. My friend told me to shadow doctors but any advice on how I would do this if I have no contacts. I got to school in nyc and I’m from the west coast so it doesn’t help. Besides Shadowing, what kind of other experiences can give me a clearer picture of this profession so I can make a better decision?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any answers,

Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: