late postbac deadlines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

froglegs16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in a master's program (creative writing) that is not going well. I should have just gone to medical school. The program I'm in is a bad fit (read: malignant) and no longer competitive compared to its previous incarnation. I am not learning anything. I am one year into a three year program. I am tempted to cut my losses and move on. I took classes at a much more competitive program as an undergrad so it suddenly is clear to me that getting the degree is not a good idea. I am looking to sell a book and/or get a great job this summer, which would allow me to justify departing from the program. I might also just take a 'leave of absence' for a year and do the post-bac during that time.

I'm interested in finding a post-bac program that is still open for the fall.

-ideally one year or a year and a half
-could relocate anywhere
-still considering applications
-for career-changers
-I have no premed prereqs completed, save for a 4 on the AP bio exam and a sad looking C+ in a nursing biology class I took when I was 18 (I was ill most of the semester). Have a background in statistics, but no calc class.
-linkage would be great.

Basically I want to know the fastest way to get into med school. I have worked as a medical writer and as an ER tech/EMT as well as done research in bioethics, statistics, and did some shadowing in a genetics lab for a bit too. I'm 28 and ready to move on, I think.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going to ask about your motivations to become a doctor, since that's something you'll have to decide and figure out, but what are your preferences in terms of location? Are you looking at schools in the west coast, east coast, south, midwest, etc. or anywhere in the continental U.S.?

I believe the University of Louisville's program fits your needs. Their deadline has been extended to April 30 last I heard.