"late" radonc thoughts....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LurkNoMore

Who knows if I'll Match?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeking advice from those who are there (SDN super-moderators included), have been there, or are going there... and pre-emptively I have already read through the FAQ's at least a couple of times :)....

I'm finishing up 3rd year and a 3 week rotation in rad-onc (I was sick for 1/3 of it, missed 2d). I have really enjoyed the rotation: lots of wonderful patients that you have time to talk to/educate about their disease, cool/confusing/complicated toys, seeing what you treat and seeing it work.... Until now I had only really been considering anesthesiology (see, treat, get results, treat again... physiology and pharmacology are pretty cool too), but I have a background in molecular biology, and a long-standing interest in cancer reaching back into college with some research b/w M1-M2. I think I had allowed myself to forget how interesting cancer can be until this rotation. I have already set some stuff up 4th year for anesthesia rotations, but I feel I should pursue my interests in rad-onc as well. Am I still ok?? Do I need to completely re-vamp my 4th year schedule??? I have a good CV/step 1, a home rad-onc department and I am working with one of the residents to get involved in a rad-onc project.... Would it be ok to have only 1 rad-onc away rotation? Ultimately I would like to wind up in the SE for residency/practice (academic vs. PP, who knows at this point). Sorry for the spazz factor but I would love some input from you guys as I feel my ERAS clock ticking!!!

Members don't see this ad.

one away rotation is fine. But was that rotation where you missed a week the away rotation or did you also do a home one?

The rotation I was speaking of was as an MS3 at my home institution, it was/is comprised mostly of shadowing the residents/attendings and assisting with background work on consults/new patients. I have gotten to see a lot of the different parts of radiation oncology on this rotation as well, which has gotten me interested!

If you know you're interested in anesthesia, and suspect you may be interested in rad onc as well, my recommendation would be to set up home and away rad onc rotations in July/Aug if possible. Other than that, I don't think a complete overhaul of your MS4 schedule is necessary, but ideally you should reach a decision as to which path you wish to pursue by the time ERAS apps are downloaded (early Sept?).

Coming to the field late is okay (better than never discovering it!). I had a classmate who finally decided on rad onc in May/June of M3, and ultimately matched very well. Put forth the extra effort to push your research project through; it helps greatly to have a manuscript submitted by the time interview season rolls around. You're picking from two excellent fields, just do what you find you enjoy the most. Best of luck!